* -export-symbols-regex fails on MacOS 10.7
@ 2017-08-12  8:55 Jan Stary
From: Jan Stary @ 2017-08-12  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

http://marc.info/?t=150223362500004&r=1&w=2

A build of the current git master (14.4.2 too) fails on MacOS 10.7.
Thanks to Joshua Root of MacPorts, I have tracked the root cause
to the following line in src/Makefile.am:

  -export-symbols-regex '^(sox_.*|lsx_(check_read_params|(close|open)_dllibrary|(debug(_more|_most)?|fail|report|warn)_impl|eof|fail_errno|filelength|find_(enum_(text|value)|file_extension)|getopt(_init)?|lpc10_(create_(de|en)coder_state|(de|en)code)|raw(read|write)|read(_b_buf|buf|chars)|realloc|rewind|seeki|sigfigs3p?|strcasecmp|tell|unreadb|write(b|_b_buf|buf|s)))$$'

The problem is that the grep(1) that comes with MacOS 10.7
just cannot grep for that, resulting in

	/usr/bin/nm: no name list
	grep: Regular expression too big

The grep provided by MacPorts works fine, so a workaround exists.
But I would like to get rid of it at the source: can the above regexp
be simplified or even discarded? Am I right at thinking that this
is what an outut of nm(1) is grepped for to get a list of symbols?
Is the list accurate and up to date? Looking at the history
https://sourceforge.net/p/sox/code/ci/7e74b254b2a7c963be0bfce751fc5911fe681c12/log/?path=/src/Makefile.am
it has last been touched about four years ago.

If there are any SoX users on MacOS 10.7,
can you please try to build SoX with the system grep,
as opposed to some other grep provided by macport or brew or else?
Can you please try to just grep the above line with both grep(1)s?

	Thank you

		Jan

only message in thread, other threads:[~2017-08-12  9:22 UTC | newest]