* [ANNOUNCE] public-inbox.org mirrors of sox-devel and sox-users
@ 2017-06-29  8:49 Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2017-06-29  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users, sox-devel

For those of you unable to remain subscribed to SF.net,
I am putting JavaScript-free mirrors on public-inbox.org:

	https://public-inbox.org/sox-users/
	https://public-inbox.org/sox-devel/

NNTP readers may use:

	nntp://news.public-inbox.org/inbox.comp.audio.sox
	nntp://news.public-inbox.org/inbox.comp.audio.sox.devel

You can also "git clone --mirror" those URLs and periodically
run "git fetch" to update them.

You can also do a read-only subscription via mlmmj using:

	sox-users+subscribe@public-inbox.org
	sox-devel+subscribe@public-inbox.org

This will enable you to read messages posted to the
associated address @lists.sourceforge.net, but not post...

I'm not sure how to enable posting via public-inbox.org
addresses.  I suppose I can throw together some Perl and
forward posts to SF.net using my personal address, with
correct attribution...

All the code for public-inbox is available under AGPL-3.0+:
	git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] public-inbox.org mirrors of sox-devel and sox-users
@ 2017-06-29  9:48 ` Jan Stary
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jan Stary @ 2017-06-29  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users; +Cc: sox-devel

On Jun 29 08:49:26, normalperson@yhbt.net wrote:
> For those of you unable to remain subscribed to SF.net,
> I am putting JavaScript-free mirrors on public-inbox.org:
>
> 	https://public-inbox.org/sox-users/
> 	https://public-inbox.org/sox-devel/

Let me understand this: beng subscribed to the mailing list means
I get the messages via email. What Java-Script problem problem are
we trying to solve here? Is it the fact that the archive web page
https://sourceforge.net/p/sox/mailman/sox-devel/
using javascript. Is that the problem?

> You can also do a read-only subscription via mlmmj using:
> 	sox-users+subscribe@public-inbox.org
> 	sox-devel+subscribe@public-inbox.org
> This will enable you to read messages posted to the
> associated address @lists.sourceforge.net, but not post...

What good is a maling list I cannot post to?

> I'm not sure how to enable posting via public-inbox.org
> addresses.  I suppose I can throw together some Perl and
> forward posts to SF.net using my personal address, with
> correct attribution...

Please don't. Let there be _one_ place for the actual mailing list to exist
(be it SF ore anything else); there are plenty of archove sites indexing
the SoX lists already, e.g.

http://marc.info/?l=sox-users&r=1&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=sox-devel&r=1&w=2

	Jan

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] public-inbox.org mirrors of sox-devel and sox-users
@ 2017-06-29  9:53   ` Jan Stary
From: Jan Stary @ 2017-06-29  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

> > You can also do a read-only subscription via mlmmj using:
> > 	sox-users+subscribe@public-inbox.org
> > 	sox-devel+subscribe@public-inbox.org
> > This will enable you to read messages posted to the
> > associated address @lists.sourceforge.net, but not post...
> > I'm not sure how to enable posting via public-inbox.org
> > addresses.  I suppose I can throw together some Perl and
> > forward posts to SF.net using my personal address, with
> > correct attribution...
>
> Please don't. Let there be _one_ place for the actual mailing list to exist
> (be it SF ore anything else); there are plenty of archove sites indexing
> the SoX lists already.

Besides, the https://public-inbox.org/sox-users/ interface is horrendous.
For example, this is where a recent "split stereo by channel and silence"
subject line links to:

https://public-inbox.org/sox-users/CAMCaP0ESksGVf7C8K+ei1963+Pje8xzOz_9YpqN_jYpuLtiXEw@mail.gmail.com/T/#t

That gets me to the very bottom on the page; it is completely unrelated
to the position of the actual message on the page.

	Jan

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] public-inbox.org mirrors of sox-devel and sox-users
@ 2017-06-29 16:55   ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2017-06-29 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users, sox-devel

Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz> wrote:
> On Jun 29 08:49:26, normalperson@yhbt.net wrote:
> > For those of you unable to remain subscribed to SF.net,
> > I am putting JavaScript-free mirrors on public-inbox.org:
> >
> > 	https://public-inbox.org/sox-users/
> > 	https://public-inbox.org/sox-devel/
>
> Let me understand this: beng subscribed to the mailing list means
> I get the messages via email. What Java-Script problem problem are
> we trying to solve here? Is it the fact that the archive web page
> https://sourceforge.net/p/sox/mailman/sox-devel/
> using javascript. Is that the problem?

The problem is SourceForge is requiring users reconfirm existing
subscriptions, and that reconfirmation requires JS and CAPTCHA.

> > You can also do a read-only subscription via mlmmj using:
> > 	sox-users+subscribe@public-inbox.org
> > 	sox-devel+subscribe@public-inbox.org
> > This will enable you to read messages posted to the
> > associated address @lists.sourceforge.net, but not post...
>
> What good is a maling list I cannot post to?

I still find reading archives useful.  Sorry for the old message
bounces, though, I misconfigured mlmmj and did not fix it
quickly, enough.

> > I'm not sure how to enable posting via public-inbox.org
> > addresses.  I suppose I can throw together some Perl and
> > forward posts to SF.net using my personal address, with
> > correct attribution...
>
> Please don't. Let there be _one_ place for the actual mailing list to exist
> (be it SF ore anything else); there are plenty of archove sites indexing
> the SoX lists already, e.g.
>
> http://marc.info/?l=sox-users&r=1&w=2
> http://marc.info/?l=sox-devel&r=1&w=2

Those links will likely stop updating unless marc.info reconfirm
all their subscriptions (and every other SF list).

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] public-inbox.org mirrors of sox-devel and sox-users
@ 2017-06-29 17:07     ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2017-06-29 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz> wrote:
> Besides, the https://public-inbox.org/sox-users/ interface is horrendous.
> For example, this is where a recent "split stereo by channel and silence"
> subject line links to:
>
> https://public-inbox.org/sox-users/CAMCaP0ESksGVf7C8K+ei1963+Pje8xzOz_9YpqN_jYpuLtiXEw@mail.gmail.com/T/#t
>
> That gets me to the very bottom on the page; it is completely unrelated
> to the position of the actual message on the page.

It links to the index of messages in the thread, so it's easier
to jump again on the same page to a certain message.

Anyways, UI is a personal thing (I can't stand most of the
modern web, either)

The point is the code and data are both cloneable via git; so
all that is customizable.  It's more efficient than updating via
NNTP, even.

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] public-inbox.org mirrors of sox-devel and sox-users
@ 2017-06-29 17:15       ` Doug Lee
From: Doug Lee @ 2017-06-29 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Got a flood of mail from various places today and yesterday; haven't managed a thorough read of this thread; but my two cents:

I'm fine moving the list to another mailing-list site. I'm ok if that site has a web interface. But I will want to stick to email as a means of reading and posting, rather than dealing with a web interface for either.

--
Doug Lee                 dgl@dlee.org                http://www.dlee.org
Level Access             doug.lee@LevelAccess.com    http://www.LevelAccess.com

* Re: [SoX-devel] [ANNOUNCE] public-inbox.org mirrors of sox-devel and sox-users
@ 2017-07-01 23:29   ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2017-07-01 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users; +Cc: sox-devel

JS> What Java-Script problem problem are we trying to solve here?

To stay subscribed one has to follow sf's url to a re-confirm page which
only works w/ js.

It looks like all sf subscription additions and removals will requier
such nonsense now.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6

* Re: [SoX-devel] [ANNOUNCE] public-inbox.org mirrors of sox-devel and sox-users
@ 2017-07-05 13:28     ` Jan Stary
From: Jan Stary @ 2017-07-05 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

On Jul 01 19:29:23, cloos@jhcloos.com wrote:

> JS> What Java-Script problem problem are we trying to solve here?
>
> To stay subscribed one has to follow sf's url to a re-confirm page which
> only works w/ js.

And?

* Re: [SoX-devel] [ANNOUNCE] public-inbox.org mirrors of sox-devel and sox-users
@ 2017-07-10 19:47       ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2017-07-10 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz> wrote:

> > JS> What Java-Script problem problem are we trying to solve here?
> >
> > To stay subscribed one has to follow sf's url to a re-confirm page which
> > only works w/ js.
>
> And?

I don't see a JS requirement as acceptable for people who rely
on command-line applications like sox, and thus cannot run a
JS-capable browser.

There's also the point where it's proprietary and obfuscated code
running on the users' machines.