* Sox Truncating MP3
@ 2017-06-10  5:04 Mark Sweeney
From: Mark Sweeney @ 2017-06-10  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

I used Sox to process an MP3 file, but the output file was truncated.
At first I thought the problem was with the command or options, but
after removing all options and using Sox just to do a copy, the output
file was still truncated.

So I ran the same file through ffmpeg.  It processed the entire file
even though there was a warning about invalid data found in the input
file.

Can I force Sox to finish processing this file without truncating?  If
not, can I have Sox output a message so I that I know there was a
problem?  Currently it just fails silently.

* Re: Sox Truncating MP3
@ 2017-06-10 16:22 ` Graff, David E
From: Graff, David E @ 2017-06-10 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net

If you want to do something sox-ish with uncompressed mp3 data, despite knowing that some of the data is faulty, why not just use ffmpeg to get (faulty) uncompressed output, and then run sox on that output?

  Dave Graff

________________________________

@ 2017-06-14 21:20   ` Mark Sweeney
From: Mark Sweeney @ 2017-06-14 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

I would prefer to use one application because the file is alreadly loaded
in Sox.  And more importantly if data is getting thrown away in Sox I want
to see something in the output to warn me.  If I run the file through
ffmpeg and then Sox afterwards, how do I know that Sox didn't throw
something away if the output from ffmpeg was bad?

If Sox can't handle the file at the least Sox should output a warning.

@ 2017-06-29 10:07 ` Jan Stary
From: Jan Stary @ 2017-06-29 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

On Jun 09 22:04:06, marksweeneyre@gmail.com wrote:
> I used Sox to process an MP3 file, but the output file was truncated.
> At first I thought the problem was with the command or options, but
> after removing all options and using Sox just to do a copy, the output
> file was still truncated.
>
> So I ran the same file through ffmpeg.  It processed the entire file
> even though there was a warning about invalid data found in the input
> file.
>
> Can I force Sox to finish processing this file without truncating?  If
> not, can I have Sox output a message so I that I know there was a
> problem?  Currently it just fails silently.

Without seeing the command and the original file, I can only guess,
but I have seen this situation when the length header was wrong
in the original MP3 file. I believe SoX stops processing the file
at the given length even though the data continues. This can be
overriden with --ignore-length

	Jan

* Re: Sox Truncating MP3
@ 2017-06-29 10:59   ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2017-06-29 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz> writes:

> On Jun 09 22:04:06, marksweeneyre@gmail.com wrote:
>> I used Sox to process an MP3 file, but the output file was truncated.
>> At first I thought the problem was with the command or options, but
>> after removing all options and using Sox just to do a copy, the output
>> file was still truncated.
>>
>> So I ran the same file through ffmpeg.  It processed the entire file
>> even though there was a warning about invalid data found in the input
>> file.
>>
>> Can I force Sox to finish processing this file without truncating?  If
>> not, can I have Sox output a message so I that I know there was a
>> problem?  Currently it just fails silently.
>
> Without seeing the command and the original file, I can only guess,
> but I have seen this situation when the length header was wrong
> in the original MP3 file. I believe SoX stops processing the file
> at the given length even though the data continues. This can be
> overriden with --ignore-length

MP3 files don't have a length header, or any other header.

--
Måns Rullgård

* Re: Sox Truncating MP3
@ 2017-06-29 11:20     ` Jan Stary
From: Jan Stary @ 2017-06-29 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

On Jun 29 11:59:42, mans@mansr.com wrote:
> Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz> writes:
>
> > On Jun 09 22:04:06, marksweeneyre@gmail.com wrote:
> >> I used Sox to process an MP3 file, but the output file was truncated.
> >> At first I thought the problem was with the command or options, but
> >> after removing all options and using Sox just to do a copy, the output
> >> file was still truncated.
> >>
> >> So I ran the same file through ffmpeg.  It processed the entire file
> >> even though there was a warning about invalid data found in the input
> >> file.
> >>
> >> Can I force Sox to finish processing this file without truncating?  If
> >> not, can I have Sox output a message so I that I know there was a
> >> problem?  Currently it just fails silently.
> >
> > Without seeing the command and the original file, I can only guess,
> > but I have seen this situation when the length header was wrong
> > in the original MP3 file. I believe SoX stops processing the file
> > at the given length even though the data continues. This can be
> > overriden with --ignore-length
>
> MP3 files don't have a length header, or any other header.

My must have been a different format then; sorry for the confusion.

If your (OP) file (mp3) is not too big or sensitive,
can you put it somewhere for download and show us the command
that truncated it for you?

	Jan