* multiple synths, independent effects chains, remix in one command?
@ 2015-05-10 14:24 ron
From: ron @ 2015-05-10 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: sox-users

I've been enjoying generating synth tones of great complexity in a matter
similar to the way sounds were generated on old analog synths. By building
and layering many tones in individual sox statements, and then using a
final statement to combine all the files, I've been getting some sounds I
like.  I would like to, however, combine many of these steps into one, and
that is where I am having trouble.

My current technique (simplified a bit) is:

$ sox -n root.wav synth 12 sine 220 fade t .1 12 11.9
$ sox -n 2nd.wav synth 12 sine 440 fade t .2 12 11.8
$ sox -n 3rd.wav synth 12 sine 660 fade l .4 12 11.6
$ sox -n 4th.wav synth 12 sine 880 fade l .8 12 11.2
$ sox -m root.wav -v 0.4 2nd.wav -v 0.08 3rd.wav -v 0.2 4th.wav
combined.wav norm -3

I can cook up all kinds of interesting sounds, and I use lots of other
effects and tricks to make interesting and unique tones which I then string
together with padding. I like what I am doing. But I wonder if it is
possible to combine many commands into a single command using channel and
remix? I would like to see something like:

$ sox -n combined.wav synth 2 sine 100 2 sine 200 2 sine 300 [effects for
first synth] [effects for second] [for third] remix - norm -3

What I am looking to do is: In one command, generate many tones, put each
tone through it's own effects chain, combine all the tones (and there might
be dozens of them) and then normalize the final combined tone. After the
individual components are rejoined and normalized, I might want to put that
tone through yet another effects chain, actually.

In the abstract, it would be something like this:

generate w, generate x, generate y, apply effects to w, apply effects to x,
apply effects to y, mix x,y,z into z, apply effects to z.

or the effects could come right after the generation.

Hope this makes sense!

- Ron Strelecki

http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y

* Re: multiple synths, independent effects chains, remix in one command?
@ 2015-05-10 19:30 ` Erich Eckner
From: Erich Eckner @ 2015-05-10 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: sox-users

Hi Ron,

I don't know if you can synth more than one tone in one command (the
answer is probably "yes, but you can't apply different effects on
each"), but what you can do is to use "|sox ..." as an input "file".
Have a look at the man-page under FILENAMES:
<cite>
"|program [options] ..."
              This  can  be  used  in  place  of an input filename to
specify the the given program's standard output (stdout) be used as an
input file.  Unlike - (above), this can be used for several inputs to
one SoX command.  For example, if `genw' generates mono WAV formatted
signals to its standard output, then the following command makes a
stereo file from two generated signals:
                 sox -M "|genw --imd -" "|genw --thd -" out.wav
              For headerless (raw) audio, -t (and perhaps other format
options) will need to be given, preceding the input command.
</cite>

In the inner sox-command(s) you can put anything you like, including the
effects you want for each part of the tone. As output type in the inner
command you should use "-p" (or equivalently "-t sox -").

<example>
sox -m "|sox -n -p synth 12 sine 220 fade t .1 12 11.9" -v 0.4 "|sox -n
-p synth 12 sine 440 fade t .2 12 11.8" combined.wav norm -3
</example>

Although you will still have many instances of sox running, you won't
need any temporary files.

greetings, Erich

@ 2015-05-10 20:07 ` keghn
From: keghn @ 2015-05-10 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw