sox-devel@lists.sourceforge.net unofficial mirror
* [ sox-Feature Requests-3197380 ] Better directory support
@ 2013-02-02 21:30 SourceForge.net
From: SourceForge.net @ 2013-02-02 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: SourceForge.net

Feature Requests item #3197380, was opened at 2011-03-02 07:10
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by janstary
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=360706&aid=3197380&group_id=10706

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
A user asks for support for playing a directory, and for treating missing handlers as a warning, so that for example playing an album would ignore a JPEG album art file with just a warning. (Debian bugs #552305 and #552306.)

Comment By: Jan Starý (janstary)
Date: 2013-02-02 13:30

Message:
I don't think it is so'x job to traverse directories trying to figure out
"what could I possibly play"? Can the user simply do 'play album/*3' or
whatever?

@ 2013-02-02 23:17 SourceForge.net
From: SourceForge.net @ 2013-02-02 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: SourceForge.net

Feature Requests item #3197380, was opened at 2011-03-02 07:10
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by rrt

Date: 2013-02-02 15:17

Message:
I agree, that to handle directories is not SoX's job. Users should use a
program like xdg-open that uses the right program to launch a given format;
also it would be possible to use a filter that finds only audio files in a
directory and open them one at a time. Perhaps it's worth saying this to
552306@bugs.debian.org.

I'm unsure about the other bug (ignoring files for which SoX has no
handler). Partly I think that is a useful quick-and-dirty way to use SoX;
partly I agree with play foo/*.{mp3,ogg,wav,...} but then where does one
stop with the list?

How would it be to do as the user suggests and issue a warning rather than
an error in this case? If you go:

play foo.speex # unsupported format

then you'd still get a message saying the format is unsupported, so that
doesn't harm the user experience for that common case.

Comment By: Jan Starý (janstary)