sox-devel@lists.sourceforge.net unofficial mirror
* [ sox-Feature Requests-1621699 ] Add MP3 support to WAV handler
@ 2013-02-02 20:14 SourceForge.net
From: SourceForge.net @ 2013-02-02 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: SourceForge.net

Feature Requests item #1621699, was opened at 2006-12-24 10:31
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by janstary
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=360706&aid=1621699&group_id=10706

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Can copy most work from mp3.c.

Comment By: Jan Starý (janstary)
Date: 2013-02-02 12:14

Message:
Does anyone wish use the mp3-in-wav format?
Can this 2006 Christmass wish be closed?

Comment By: Reuben Thomas (rrt)
Date: 2008-06-26 05:24

Message:
Logged In: YES
user_id=50145
Originator: YES

Did I say "copy"? I meant "reuse", of course.

@ 2013-02-02 22:59 SourceForge.net
From: SourceForge.net @ 2013-02-02 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: SourceForge.net

Feature Requests item #1621699, was opened at 2006-12-24 10:31
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by rrt

Date: 2013-02-02 14:59

Message:
I don't think you can reasonably gauge user opinion from the bug tracker.
Even on the mailing list it's hard. What you might prefer to do is close
this bug but document this gap in SoX's support, perhaps in the source
code, e.g. in wav.c.

Comment By: Jan Starý (janstary)
Date: 2013-02-02 12:14

Message:

From: SourceForge.net @ 2013-02-02 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: SourceForge.net

Date: 2013-02-02 14:59

Message:
Or perhaps even better in the documentation, so users can see what is
missing, or even what they could ask for.

Comment By: Reuben Thomas (rrt)

Date: 2013-02-02 12:14

Message:

Date: 2008-06-26 05:24

Message:

@ 2013-02-03  8:41 SourceForge.net

Date: 2013-02-03 00:41

Message:
This is what soxformat(7) says:

SoX can read and write linear PCM, floating point, u-law, A-law,
MS ADPCM, and IMA (or DVI) ADPCM encoded samples.  WAV files can
also contain audio encoded in many other ways (not currently
supported with SoX) e.g. MP3; in some cases such a file can
still be read by SoX by overriding the file type, e.g.
                 play -t mp3 mp3-encoded.wav

Comment By: Reuben Thomas (rrt)
Date: 2013-02-02 14:59

Message:

Date: 2013-02-02 12:14

Message:

Date: 2008-06-26 05:24

Message:

@ 2013-02-03 12:05 SourceForge.net
From: SourceForge.net @ 2013-02-03 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: SourceForge.net

Feature Requests item #1621699, was opened at 2006-12-24 10:31
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by uklauer

Date: 2013-02-03 04:05

Message:
This (-t mp3) is a hack that works because mp3 will skip over garbage
(which is what the wav header is to it).

Generally, I think feature requests should remain open (even after a long
time) unless they are resolved or it is agreed that we don't *want* to
resolve them, e.g. because they are out of scope for SoX. Obviously, this
doesn't mean that anyone is required to work on them.

Comment By: Jan Starý (janstary)

Date: 2013-02-02 14:59

Message:

Date: 2013-02-02 12:14