sox-devel@lists.sourceforge.net unofficial mirror
From: Pascal Giard <evilynux@gmail.com>
To: sox developers list <SoX-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Reproducible builds and SoX
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:06:55 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi guys,
  Some work in Debian is pushing toward reproducible builds [1] and
that work is advancing quite well. At the moment, 83%+ of the whole
archive passes.

SoX isn't one of those packages though as it uses timestamps macros
[2]. These timestamps macros are only use to tell users/coders about
the date/time at which SoX or libsox were built.

It is suggested/recommended that the use of such macros be dropped
altogether [3]. While I haven't received any pressure to make a move
yet, I'm sure that'll come sooner than later.

I'm therefore asking for your opinion on this. Do you see a problem in
removing the use of those macros in SoX (thus removing that
information from sox_version_info) ? I personally don't see that
information bringing much to the table. My hunch is that it was added
in the first place because others were doing it as well. I might be
wrong tho.

Thanks,

-Pascal
[1] https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds/About