sox-devel@lists.sourceforge.net unofficial mirror
* Proposed fix for Bug #261: absurd docs bug - PDF is doubled 14.4.1 and 14.4.2.
@ 2016-01-27  3:57 Kevin Conder
From: Kevin Conder @ 2016-01-27  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-devel

I have a fix for Bug #261: absurd docs bug - PDF is doubled 14.4.1 and
14.4.2. The problem is when any PDF is created, the result is two
duplicate documents concatenated together.
http://sourceforge.net/p/sox/bugs/261/

The cause was a bug in pdfroff. The solution is to use groff's
internal PDF builder instead.

So, instead of this:

pdfroff -t -man -Tps sox.1 > sox.pdf

Use this:

groff -t -man -Tpdf sox.1 > sox.pdf

So, how do I proceed? Do I submit a merge request through git or post
a patch to this list?

--
Kevin Conder

* Re: Proposed fix for Bug #261: absurd docs bug - PDF is doubled 14.4.1 and 14.4.2.
@ 2016-01-27  9:07 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2016-01-27  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-devel

Kevin Conder <dentalkevin@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a fix for Bug #261: absurd docs bug - PDF is doubled 14.4.1 and
> 14.4.2. The problem is when any PDF is created, the result is two
> duplicate documents concatenated together.
> http://sourceforge.net/p/sox/bugs/261/
>
> The cause was a bug in pdfroff. The solution is to use groff's
> internal PDF builder instead.

It seems to be a known problem for a while:

	https://bugs.debian.org/538326

And I guess upstream does not consider it a bug, but they also have a
workaround using --no-toc-relocate in pdfroff which I've tested:

	http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2009-08/msg00028.html

> So, instead of this:
>
> pdfroff -t -man -Tps sox.1 > sox.pdf
>
> Use this:
>
> groff -t -man -Tpdf sox.1 > sox.pdf

My older groff in Debian wheezy doesn't support -Tpdf.

Inevitably, I'll upgrade my system, but sox is also not my project
and I think using --no-toc-relocate is the more conservative route
for older systems.

> So, how do I proceed? Do I submit a merge request through git or post
> a patch to this list?

I prefer patches on this mailing list myself.  The actual sox
maintainers are all busy, so I guess some us (Mans and I among them)
will collect changes until they return.

For reference, my trees are at git://80x24.org/sox.git and Mans at
git://github.com/mansr/sox.git