sox-devel@lists.sourceforge.net unofficial mirror
* Bundled GSM library
@ 2020-08-04 11:58 Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2020-08-04 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-devel

SoX includes a local copy of libgsm.  There is also an option to build
against an externally provided libgsm.  Unsurprisingly, the local copy
is quite old and presumably full of bugs.

Since all major Linux distributions already package libgsm, I'd like to
simply delete our copy and make gsm support optional.  It is rather
obscure, after all.

Any objections?

--
Måns Rullgård

* Re: Bundled GSM library
@ 2020-08-05 19:17 ` Wolfgang Stoeggl via SoX-devel
From: Wolfgang Stoeggl via SoX-devel @ 2020-08-05 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-devel; +Cc: Wolfgang Stoeggl

Dear Måns ,

yes, libgsm available as package in many distributions, typically at the current version of 1.0.19:https://repology.org/project/gsm/versions
If a local copy is kept within sox, it should probably be updated ...
As a small sign of being interested in keeping the cmake build system for SoX, a patch for CMakeLists.txt is attached, which allows detection of gsm.h, when it is directly in the include folder in addition to detecting gsm/gsm.h so far.
The patch also includes a fix for detecting lame.h in addition to lame/lame.h
Best regards
Wolfgang

    Am Dienstag, 4. August 2020, 13:59:27 MESZ hat Måns Rullgård <mans@mansr.com> Folgendes geschrieben:

 SoX includes a local copy of libgsm.  There is also an option to build
against an externally provided libgsm.  Unsurprisingly, the local copy
is quite old and presumably full of bugs.

Since all major Linux distributions already package libgsm, I'd like to
simply delete our copy and make gsm support optional.  It is rather
obscure, after all.

Any objections?

--
Måns Rullgård

[-- Attachment #2: cmake_gsm_lame.patch.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 534 bytes --]

* Re: Bundled GSM library
@ 2020-08-06  9:10   ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2020-08-06  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-devel

Wolfgang Stoeggl <c72578@yahoo.de> writes:

> Dear Måns ,
>
> yes, libgsm available as package in many distributions, typically at
> the current version of 1.0.19:
> https://repology.org/project/gsm/versions
> If a local copy is kept within sox, it should probably be updated ...

Why not simply delete the local copy and save the maintenance burden?

> As a small sign of being interested in keeping the cmake build system
> for SoX, a patch for CMakeLists.txt is attached, which allows
> detection of gsm.h, when it is directly in the include folder in
> addition to detecting gsm/gsm.h so far.  The patch also includes a fix
> for detecting lame.h in addition to lame/lame.h

Patches or not, do you have any compelling reason to keep the cmake
system?  I don't like it, and I certainly don't want to maintain it.

--
Måns Rullgård

* Re: Bundled GSM library
@ 2020-08-11 13:53 ` Jan Stary
From: Jan Stary @ 2020-08-11 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-devel

On Aug 04 12:58:59, mans@mansr.com wrote:
> SoX includes a local copy of libgsm.

Yes; as opposed to most of the other external formats.

> There is also an option to build
> against an externally provided libgsm.  Unsurprisingly, the local copy
> is quite old and presumably full of bugs.

AFAICS, it's 1992 code, last touched by Rob in 2008.

> Since all major Linux distributions already package libgsm, I'd like to
> simply delete our copy and make gsm support optional.

Please do.

> It is rather obscure, after all.

I remamber using it many years ago when some phones (ancient by today)
used it as the default audio format for recordings.

> Any objections?

Please do kill it.

On Aug 05 19:17:26, sox-devel@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> If a local copy is kept within sox, it should probably be updated ...

No, it should be made an external dependency,
like with ogg or flac or mp3 or any other external format.

	Jan

* Re: Bundled GSM library
@ 2020-08-11 14:24   ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2020-08-11 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Stary; +Cc: sox-devel

Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz> writes:

> On Aug 04 12:58:59, mans@mansr.com wrote:
>> SoX includes a local copy of libgsm.
>
> Yes; as opposed to most of the other external formats.

I guess it's because the library is relatively small and wasn't widely
available as a system package back then.

>> There is also an option to build
>> against an externally provided libgsm.  Unsurprisingly, the local copy
>> is quite old and presumably full of bugs.
>
> AFAICS, it's 1992 code, last touched by Rob in 2008.
>
>> Since all major Linux distributions already package libgsm, I'd like to
>> simply delete our copy and make gsm support optional.
>
> Please do.
>
>> It is rather obscure, after all.
>
> I remamber using it many years ago when some phones (ancient by today)
> used it as the default audio format for recordings.
>
>> Any objections?
>
> Please do kill it.

That's one vote in favour of ditching it.  Good enough for me.

--
Måns Rullgård