ruby-core@ruby-lang.org archive (unofficial mirror)
* [ruby-core:69305] [Ruby trunk - Feature #11167] [Open] Allow an attr_ variant for query-methods that end with a question mark '?' character, such as: def foo? returning @foo
       [not found] <redmine.issue-11167.20150521190518@ruby-lang.org>
@ 2015-05-21 19:05 ` shevegen
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: shevegen @ 2015-05-21 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #11167 has been reported by Robert A. Heiler.

Feature #11167: Allow an attr_ variant for query-methods that end with a question mark '?' character, such as:  def foo?   returning @foo
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/11167

* Author: Robert A. Heiler
* Assignee:
Hi guys,

Hi nobu :)

Also hi matz if matz reads this, and of course the rest of the core
team and everyone else.

Today on IRC, this mini-discussion happened (I show a snippet):

<apeiros> I really miss attr_query or whatever you want to name it
<apeiros> which would generate a ? method too
<jhass> apeiros: crystal has :P getter?
<apeiros> nice

Ok, so the language crystal has something ruby does not have.

We can't let those newcomers get away with making ruby look old
now can we!

I use ruby not crystal but I very often use methods that end
with a '?' query mark in ruby. It helps me in simple if clauses
such as:

  if hash.has_key?
  if hash.key?
  if cat.is_hungry?

(In the latter, it might be a cat of class Cat instance, with
an instance variable called @is_hungry, and when the cat is
fed with food, it is not hungry logically.)

We can generate these @ivars through attr_* right now as is
already, such as:

    attr_reader :foo
    def foo; @foo; end

    attr_writer :foo
    def foo=(i); @foo = i; end

    attr_accessor :foo
    ^^^ Combines the above two methods into one.

But we have no way to designate methods that end via '?'.

I do not know which API call would be nice. apeiros on
IRC suggested  attr_query

I am fine with that. (The name is secondary for me, I
would like to have this feature available - what name
it would then have is not the main issue for me.)

apeiros then also suggested this syntax:

All attr_* that would end with a ? token, would be a
combination of attr_reader and also a variant of the
above that has a '?' token, so for example:

attr_reader :foo?

Would create both a method foo() and foo?().

People who do not need this, can continue to use:

attr_reader :foo

just fine.

So perhaps this suggestion is even better than
a new method (such as through attr_query())

(I also have added one more line from apeiros,
not sure if I understood it, but I think the
above explanation should suffice - here is the
other suggestion he did:)

apeiros> e.g. attr_reader :foo? -> foo? // attr_accessor :foo? -> foo= + foo? // all with @foo of course. and foo? returning true/false.

Ok, that's it.

Thanks for reading!

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/

* [ruby-core:69308] [Ruby trunk - Feature #11167] Allow an attr_ variant for query-methods that end with a question mark '?' character, such as: def foo? returning @foo
       [not found] <redmine.issue-11167.20150521190518@ruby-lang.org>
  2015-05-21 19:05 ` [ruby-core:69305] [Ruby trunk - Feature #11167] [Open] Allow an attr_ variant for query-methods that end with a question mark '?' character, such as: def foo? returning @foo shevegen
@ 2015-05-21 23:03 ` nobu
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: nobu @ 2015-05-21 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Description updated

* Author: Robert A. Heiler
* Assignee:
Hi guys,

Hi nobu :)

Also hi matz if matz reads this, and of course the rest of the core
team and everyone else.

Today on IRC, this mini-discussion happened (I show a snippet):

~~~
<apeiros> I really miss attr_query or whatever you want to name it
<apeiros> which would generate a ? method too
<jhass> apeiros: crystal has :P getter?
<apeiros> nice
~~~

Ok, so the language crystal has something ruby does not have.

We can't let those newcomers get away with making ruby look old
now can we!

I use ruby not crystal but I very often use methods that end
with a '?' query mark in ruby. It helps me in simple if clauses
such as:

~~~ruby
if hash.has_key?
if hash.key?
if cat.is_hungry?
~~~

* [ruby-core:69318] [Ruby trunk - Feature #11167] Allow an attr_ variant for query-methods that end with a question mark '?' character, such as: def foo? returning @foo
       [not found] <redmine.issue-11167.20150521190518@ruby-lang.org>
  2015-05-21 19:05 ` [ruby-core:69305] [Ruby trunk - Feature #11167] [Open] Allow an attr_ variant for query-methods that end with a question mark '?' character, such as: def foo? returning @foo shevegen
@ 2015-05-22 12:43 ` matz
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: matz @ 2015-05-22 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Hi,

Is there any real-world use-case for the proposal?
It seems

  def foo?
    @foo
  end

is just fine.

Matz.

* Author: Robert A. Heiler
[...]

* [ruby-core:69319] [Ruby trunk - Feature #11167] Allow an attr_ variant for query-methods that end with a question mark '?' character, such as: def foo? returning @foo
       [not found] <redmine.issue-11167.20150521190518@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-05-22 15:28 ` djberg96
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: djberg96 @ 2015-05-22 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #11167 has been updated by Daniel Berger.

Abandoned all hope:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/5796

https://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/135195

* Author: Robert A. Heiler
[...]

* [ruby-core:69320] [Ruby trunk - Feature #11167] Allow an attr_ variant for query-methods that end with a question mark '?' character, such as: def foo? returning @foo
       [not found] <redmine.issue-11167.20150521190518@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-05-22 17:44 ` billk
From: billk @ 2015-05-22 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #11167 has been updated by B Kelly.

Hi Matz,

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Is there any real-world use-case for the proposal?

I've wanted this feature for years.  :)

Here's an example from code I'm working with today:

  def startup_complete?
    @startup_complete
  end

I would have preferred:

  attr_reader :startup_complete?

> It seems
>
>   def foo?
>     @foo
>   end
>
> is just fine.

Perhaps fine, but clunky.  :)

In other words, why do we ever use attr_reader (etc.) at all?

We use attr_.* because it's preferable to writing a bunch of
mini-functions.

The reasons are identical for the '?' variant.

Regards,

Bill

* Author: Robert A. Heiler
[...]

* [ruby-core:69326] [Ruby trunk - Feature #11167] Allow an attr_ variant for query-methods that end with a question mark '?' character, such as: def foo? returning @foo
       [not found] <redmine.issue-11167.20150521190518@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-05-23 11:28 ` duerst
From: duerst @ 2015-05-23 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #11167 has been updated by Martin Dürst.

Daniel Berger wrote:
> Abandoned all hope:
>
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/5796
>
> https://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/135195

I think that this shows that there are several people who really like to use a foo? getter with a foo= setter. What it doesn't show that there are enough such people that it would balance out the confusion for those who think that a foo= setter goes together with a foo getter, at least by default.

With the current state, the main case is covered, nobody gets confused, and those who want a foo?/foo= pair can easily get it either as Matz showed above (easily reduced to one line) or by redefining the attr_... methods; the later is also very easy as it is usually about the first example given when explaining metaprogramming.

* Author: Robert A. Heiler
[...]

* [ruby-core:96754] [Ruby master Feature#11167] Allow an attr_ variant for query-methods that end with a question mark '?' character, such as:  def foo?   returning @foo
       [not found] <redmine.issue-11167.20150521190518@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-01-10  6:33 ` abaelter
From: abaelter @ 2020-01-10  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #11167 has been updated by anders (Anders Bälter).

Like that!

https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/5781#note-16