ruby-core@ruby-lang.org archive (unofficial mirror)
* [ruby-core:95420] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
@ 2019-10-18 12:03 ` mame
                   ` (19 subsequent siblings)
From: mame @ 2019-10-18 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #16262 has been reported by mame (Yusuke Endoh).

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/16262

* Author: mame (Yusuke Endoh)
* Assignee:
Please comment on your favorite ticket numbers you want to ask to discuss with your *SHORT* comment or summary.
(your summary/comment will help us because we don't need to read all of the ticket comments)

*DO NOT* discuss then on this ticket, please.

----
Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
Place, Sign-up, and Log: *TBD*

# NOTES

- Dev meeting *IS NOT* a decision-making place. All decisions should be done at the bug tracker.
- Dev meeting is a place we can ask Matz, nobu, nurse and other developers directly.
- Matz is a very busy person. Take this opportunity to ask him. If you can not attend, other attendees can ask instead of you (if attendees can understand your issue).
- We will write a log about the discussion to a file or to each ticket in English.
- All activities are best-effort (keep in mind that most of us are volunteer developers).
- The date, time and place are scheduled according to when/where we can reserve Matz's time.

# Agenda

## Next dev-meeting

## About 2.7 timeframe

## Check security tickets

## Discussion

----

Please comment on your favorite ticket we need to discuss with *the following format*.

```
* [Ticket ref] Ticket title (your name)
* your comment why you want to put this ticket here if you want to add.
```

Your comment is very important if you are no attendee because we can not ask why you want to discuss it.

Example:

```
* [Feature #14609] `Kernel#p` without args shows the receiver (ko1)
* I feel this feature is very useful and some people say :+1: so let discuss this feature.
```

We don't guarantee to put tickets in the agenda if the comment violates the format (because it is hard to copy&paste).

**A short summary of a ticket is strongly recommended. We cannot read all discussion of the ticket in a limited time.**
A proposal is often changed during the discussion, so it is very helpful to summarize the latest/current proposal, post it as a comment in the ticket, and write a link to the comment.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/

* [ruby-core:95421] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
@ 2019-10-18 12:08 ` mame
                   ` (18 subsequent siblings)
From: mame @ 2019-10-18 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Description updated

Carry over:

* [Bug #15912] Allow some reentrancy during TracePoint events (alanwu)
  * I have seen quite a few people confused about Byebug's REPL not working as they would expect due to this issue. I think it's important to come up with some solution for this in two seven.

* [Feature #16142] Implement code_range in Proc and Method - Ruby master - Ruby Issue Tracking System (osyo)
  * Propose an API to get code position of Proc and Method so that we can get body of them (especially of a Proc).
  * I want to discuss method names and return values

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
Place, Sign-up, and Log: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AZ74HXEedKksJwhEUPIlnRxAUgchndZPZYAKjGPMsFI/edit#

[...]

* [ruby-core:95423] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
@ 2019-10-18 16:12 ` merch-redmine
                   ` (17 subsequent siblings)
From: merch-redmine @ 2019-10-18 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #16262 has been updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans).

* [Feature #16129] Call initialize_clone with freeze: false if clone called with freeze: false (jeremyevans0)
  * Without this, use of `clone(freeze: false)` on objects not expecting it leads to unexpected state.
  * Allows fixing problems in delegate and set.
* [Bug #16242] Refinements method call to failed (jeremyevans0)
  * OK to fix modules that are refined and prepended by creating an iclass for the module (and not just the module's origin)?
* [Bug #13446] refinements with prepend for module has strange behavior (jeremyevans0)
  * OK to fix case where prepend is used on a refined module after the module is included by creating an origin iclass during inclusion?

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:95484] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-10-22 22:58 ` duerst
                   ` (16 subsequent siblings)
From: duerst @ 2019-10-22 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #16262 has been updated by duerst (Martin Dürst).

* [Feature #16262] Enumerable#each_tuple, and [Feature #4539] Array#zip_with
  * `zip_with` really comes in handy on occasion, and is available in many programming languages, in particular functional programming languages.

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:95564] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-10-26 12:42 ` zverok.offline
                   ` (15 subsequent siblings)
From: zverok.offline @ 2019-10-26 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

(Sorry for being over-active. On the bright side, it could be a final bunch from me)

Carry-over from tickets with feedback:
* [Feature #16122] `Struct::Value`: simple immutable value object. First version of the proposal was not clear enough, I am sorry for it. Clarified the descrition, added links and answered some possible questions.
* [Feature #15822] Add `Hash#except`. Matz: "We didn't see the need for `Hash#except` yet. Any (real world use-case)? I don't think the name except is the best name for the behavior." Added real-life examples and name justifications.

This two proposals would make sense only if `.:` would not be reverted (which, to the best of my understaning, is now doubtful)
* [Feature #16261] `Enumerable#each_splat` and `Enumerator#splat` allowing to mitigate 1-element/multi-element enumerators
* [Feature #16264] Real "callable instance method" object. `.:method` to be a first-class thing, instead of `Symbol#to_proc` trick

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:95678] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-04 21:13 ` jonathan
                   ` (14 subsequent siblings)
From: jonathan @ 2019-11-04 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #16262 has been updated by jonathanhefner (Jonathan Hefner).

* [Feature #15323] Enumerable#filter_map
  * This feature has already been merged, but there may have been some confusion regarding the implementation.
  * It currently selects only truthy values, but should it select all non-nil values, like `Array#compact`?  (See https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/15323#note-17)
  * If so, is the name `filter_map` still a good choice?  Or should it be changed to something like `compact_map`?

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:95697] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-05 12:20 ` manga.osyo
                   ` (13 subsequent siblings)
From: manga.osyo @ 2019-11-05 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #16262 has been updated by osyo (manga osyo).

* [Feature #16293] Numbered parameter confirmation in Ruby 2.7

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:95777] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-10 14:00 ` lourens
                   ` (12 subsequent siblings)
From: lourens @ 2019-11-10 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #16262 has been updated by methodmissing (Lourens Naudé).

* [Misc #16291] Introduce support for resize in rb_ary_freeze and prefer internal use of rb_ary_freeze and rb_str_freeze for String and Array types (lourens)
  - Builds onto the capacity shrinking feature introduced by `rb_str_freeze`, targeting `Array`
  - Many internal uses that froze `String` types did not use the `rb_str_freeze` variation and could not benefit from resizing capacity on freeze
  - Implemented the same for `Array`
  - Let `Array#freeze` call `rb_ary_freeze` to expose the shrinking capability to user code too (as recommended by Shyouhei) for parity with `String#freeze` already doing the same

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:95848] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-14  3:46 ` XrXr
                   ` (11 subsequent siblings)
From: XrXr @ 2019-11-14  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #16262 has been updated by alanwu (Alan Wu).

- [Bug #15620] Block argument usage affects lambda semantic
  - I find the current behaviour unreasonably confusing and would like to see improvement, even though the bug doesn't really show up in the real world often.
  - I have a [pull request](https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/2289) which restores the behaviour found in Ruby 2.4.x and warns about it, based off of matz's comment in [[ruby-core:94054]](http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/94054).
  - Could someone confirm that is the desired fix? If it is the fix we want, could someone review the PR?

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:95919] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-24  2:25 ` mame
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: mame @ 2019-11-24  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

* [Feature #16364] Top-level ruby2_keywords (mame)
  * Currently, there is no top-level `ruby2_keywords`, which would be unuseful for some simple cases.

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:95921] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-24  3:14 ` mail
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: mail @ 2019-11-24  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #16262 has been updated by yuki24 (Yuki Nishijima).

*  [Feature #16363] Promote did_you_mean to default gem (yuki24)
    * Currently there are two problems with the gem being a bundled gem, one with the availability of the lib and the other about bundler.

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:95922] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-24  9:19 ` kazuki
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: kazuki @ 2019-11-24  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #16262 has been updated by ktsj (Kazuki Tsujimoto).

* [Feature #16355]Raise NoMatchingPatternError when `expr in pat` doesn't match(ktsj)
   * I'd like to fix this specification before 2.7 release.

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:95929] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (11 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-24 22:46 ` eregontp
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: eregontp @ 2019-11-24 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

* [Misc #16188] The performance overhead of `ruby2_keywords` (eregon)
  * It's about 10% for `foo(*args)` calls where `foo` has little code, both for MRI and TruffleRuby. That's quite significant.
  * I would like to see a plan to avoid that significant overhead in Ruby 3+.
  * I propose to either remove `ruby2_keywords` in 3.0, or make `ruby2_keywords` explicit with `send_keyword_hash` (removes the overhead), or use another way (e.g., `...`) to delegate in 2.7+.

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:95932] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (12 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-24 23:14 ` mame
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: mame @ 2019-11-24 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

* [Feature #16345] Don't emit deprecation warnings by default. (mame)
  * The discussion seems to be agreeing with deduplicated warnings [Feature #16289].  We must decide.

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:95938] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (13 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-25  6:00 ` sawadatsuyoshi
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: sawadatsuyoshi @ 2019-11-25  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #16262 has been updated by sawa (Tsuyoshi Sawada).

* [Feature #16166] Remove exceptional treatment of *foo when it is the sole block parameter
  * This must be fixed in an earlier stage before Ruby 3.
* [Feature #16274] Transform hash keys by a hash (sawa)
  * Easily rename hash keys that do not follow a rule

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:95969] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (14 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-27  1:06 ` lourens
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: lourens @ 2019-11-27  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #16262 has been updated by methodmissing (Lourens Naudé).

* [Misc #16375] Right size regular expression compile buffers for literal regexes and on Regexp#freeze (lourens)
  * Builds on Misc #16291 , I think there's potential to apply this pattern to other types at hooks outlined at the end of the issue
  * A large set of literal regular expressions are quite common in Rails applications (mostly framework, but also application and dependencies)
  * In my Redmine boot test was able to shave 300kb off just excess regex buffer capacity

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:95979] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (15 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-27 11:58 ` hsbt
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: hsbt @ 2019-11-27 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #16262 has been updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA).

* [Feature #15605] json library needs more frequent releases
  * Should we bump the json version to 2.2.1?

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:95980] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (16 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-27 12:49 ` zverok.offline
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: zverok.offline @ 2019-11-27 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Ugh, forgot one

* [Misc #16260] Symbol#to_proc behaves like lambda, but doesn't aknowledge it *(the title says it all)*

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:96013] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (17 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-28  6:40 ` jean.boussier
From: jean.boussier @ 2019-11-28  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Issue #16262 has been updated by byroot (Jean Boussier).

* [Feature #16377] Regexp literals should be frozen (byroot)
  * Previous discussion in [Feature #16345]
  * Regexp literals always return the same mutable object, it can cause state to leak.

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:96019] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (18 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-28 10:15 ` eregontp
From: eregontp @ 2019-11-28 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

* [Feature #16379] Backporting ... to Ruby 2.4 - 2.6 and pass_keywords (eregon)
  * I'd like to have the opinion of the core team on this.

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan

Date: 2019/11/28 13:00-17:00
[...]

* [ruby-core:96033] [Ruby master Misc#16262] DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan
       [not found] <redmine.issue-16262.20191018120331@ruby-lang.org>
                   ` (19 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-30  4:06 ` mame
From: mame @ 2019-11-30  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruby-core

Status changed from Open to Closed

The meeting has been already ended.  I'll create a new ticket DevelopersMeeting20191220Japan later.

Misc #16262: DevelopersMeeting20191128Japan