ruby-core@ruby-lang.org archive (unofficial mirror)
From: v.ondruch@tiscali.cz
To: ruby-core@ruby-lang.org
Subject: [ruby-core:91139] [Ruby trunk Misc#15534] Is there reliable way to check for new Ruby releases?
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 10:10:21 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Issue #15534 has been updated by vo.x (Vit Ondruch).

Status changed from Assigned to Closed

I updated the URL to the index.txt and the release-monitoring.org picked up the Ruby 2.6.0 just using the default RegExp. So it seems to work right now. I'll keep monitoring the situation with future releases. Until then, this is resolved I believe.

Thx for the cleanup and for clarification.

Misc #15534: Is there reliable way to check for new Ruby releases?

* Author: vo.x (Vit Ondruch)
* Assignee: hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA)
In Fedora, we are using https://release-monitoring.org/ to check for packages updates. Unfortunately, the content of https://cache.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/ is a bit inconsistent which makes this service unuseful.

If I open the page, there are listed a lot of packages, but for some reason, the later 2.6 releases are missing. There is a "stable" folder, but it contains just Ruby 2.3, which is quite stable, but I would expect there something more recent. There is a "binaries" folder, which contains some ancient binaries. There is also index.txt, which looks to be promising, but I am not sure.

So I wonder:
1. What is the most reliable version information
2. If it would be possible to clean up the repository
3. and make sure the information is consistent

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/