ruby-core@ruby-lang.org archive (unofficial mirror)
From: normalperson@yhbt.net
To: ruby-core@ruby-lang.org
Subject: [ruby-core:66496] [ruby-trunk - misc #10547] How to move the ruby project to git
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 21:38:46 +0000	[thread overview]

Issue #10547 has been updated by Eric Wong.

 The outcome of "move the ruby project to git" probably means
 different things to the Ruby community at large,
 you (as GitLab CEO), or I...

 But first, with Matz's concerns:

 > 1. Incremental numbering

 "git describe" does output a generation number relative to the last tag.
 However, I think changing the way we write commit messages to use
 descriptive, and (mostly) unique commit titles is better for humans.

 > 2. Running scripts

 Hooks are a part of base git, I don't think there's anything reliant on
 GitLab we'd need...

 But there are other issues affecting the Ruby project:

 * Some developers do not like or want to use git.  So Ruby should
   continue to accept patches against recent tarballs from non-git
   users.  Even today, some Linux kernel hackers who do not use git,
   yet contribute much by mailing patches.

 * Merge conflicts with ChangeLog.  gnulib has a git-merge-changelog tool
   to help resolve conflicts; but GNU-style ChangeLog seems unhelpful
   given the performance of "git log".  I suggest dropping the GNU-style
   ChangeLog entirely (but keep NEWS for non-hackers).

 I have some questions about GitLab:

 * Currently, I am not a huge fan of using Redmine, but I tolerate it
   for Ruby development because of:

       1) bidirectional messaging to ruby-core ML
       2) mostly usable with w3m in a non-graphical environment

   Can we keep the above things with GitLab?

 * Finally, it would also be great if we allowed unregistered users to
   post on ruby-core and report bugs.  In fact, I've been thinking of
   how to move towards accepting unregistered contributors for 2015.

   Can GitLab accept unregistered contributions?

   It would be great if it did.  My eventual hope is for Ruby to
   officially accept contributions without any sort of registration
   or login.  But I don't know how to make it happen, yet...

 Some background: I am relatively new to ruby-core, but I love git and
 have been using and contributing to git since 2005.  One thing which
 impressed me about the git project was how easy it was to send patches:
 no registration or obligations of any sort, just email.

 I might be able to say I helped git become adopted via git-svn,
 but the current state of git adoption is a Pyrrhic victory for
 distributed version control:

     Distributed repositories flourish, yet communication (bug reports,
     patch submission, code review, etc) is more centralized than ever.

 This is not the future I envisioned when I started contributing to
 distributed VCS in 2004 (with GNU arch, before git).  The world is
 even more centralized now in 2014 than it was in 2004.

 I am not sure if GitLab helps with making things less centralized...

 Fwiw, I prefer the email-based workflow used by git and Linux
 developers.  Users have more client and personal workflow choice with
 email clients; but the plain-text message exchange remains 100%
 interopable between users of different setups.

 SMTP is also more robust and fault-tolerant than HTTP for exchanging
 messages.  Hardly anybody notices when vger.kernel.org (the mailing
 list server) goes down because:

 1) git and Linux hackers mainly email affected/responsible parties
    directly and only Cc: the respective mailing list(s) for archival
    purposes.  The etiquette is reply-to-all, not reply-to-list like
    most Ruby-related lists.

 2) SMTP servers are designed to handle temporary network outages by
    queueing and retrying.  The HTTP client-server model is not.

 Of course, HTTP services are immune to spam  /* sarcasm ;) */

 Everything said, I am available to help ruby with git stuff: hosting,
 migrations, workflow, etc...  I wrote most of git-svn, and have hosted
 git repos since 2005.  But the way I prefer to use git is alien to
 the Ruby world.

 Disclaimer: I do not speak for other git or Ruby developers.
 However, if anybody hates git, they are welcome to blame me :)

 --
 alienperson

misc #10547: How to move the ruby project to git

* Author: Sytse Sijbrandij
* Assignee:
* Category:
* Target version:
I'm posting this on the bugtracker as suggested by Koichi, feel free to move or close this if I've posted in the wrong project.

During rubyconf 2013 I briefly discussed the migration of ruby from svn to git with the core team. During the Q&A of Rubyconf 2014 Matz again mentioned that the community wants this and there are two problems that need to be solved:
1. Incremental numbering
2. Running scripts

I love ruby a lot and it is the reason I learned programming and became a developer. I now am CEO of GitLab B.V., we make open source software to collaborate on code.

The two problems are things that we can solve in GitLab:
1. Make a project service that tags each commit on master incrementally.
2. Scripts are easy to run on your own GitLab server, see http://doc.gitlab.com/ce/hooks/custom_hooks.html

If the ruby core team is interested we can make 1. and set up a GitLab server, convert the existing scripts and help maintain it for free.

If the core team wants to move to GitHub or Bitbucket we are also willing to help with scripting and conversion.

Best regards,
Sytse Sijbrandij
CEO GitLab B.V.

--