ruby-core@ruby-lang.org archive (unofficial mirror)
* Ruby on GPU
@ 2008-03-11 12:25 Jordi Polo
From: Jordi Polo @ 2008-03-11 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: ruby-core

Maybe this mail is more ruby-talk material...

Someone knows of any "backend" of Ruby or subset of ruby that uses GPU to
run the code?

GPUs dont have the control unit needed for general Ruby usage but they have
a whole bunch of useful instructions and of course a huge amount or ALU to
become a very good backend for some Ruby operations.
Some related work:
http://www.cs.lth.se/home/Calle_Lejdfors/pygpu/

If I am interested in developing something like that, the only option would
be write a C library and make a ruby wrap for it?

--
Jordi Polo Carres
NLP laboratory - NAIST

* Re: Ruby on GPU
@ 2008-03-11 13:07 ` Jason Roelofs
From: Jason Roelofs @ 2008-03-11 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: ruby-core

I think you're misunderstanding what PyGPU does. PyGPU is simply a
Python library that generates Cg code underneath, and *that* gets
compiled and run on the GPU. It doesn't run Python code on the GPU, as
that's not possible. A Ruby version of this library would not be
difficult to do.

Jason

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 8:25 AM, Jordi Polo <mumismo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe this mail is more ruby-talk material...
>
> Someone knows of any "backend" of Ruby or subset of ruby that uses GPU to
> run the code?
>
> GPUs dont have the control unit needed for general Ruby usage but they have
> a whole bunch of useful instructions and of course a huge amount or ALU to
> become a very good backend for some Ruby operations.
>  Some related work:
> http://www.cs.lth.se/home/Calle_Lejdfors/pygpu/
>
> If I am interested in developing something like that, the only option would
> be write a C library and make a ruby wrap for it?
>
> --
> Jordi Polo Carres
> NLP laboratory - NAIST
> http://www.bahasara.org

* Re: Ruby on GPU
@ 2008-03-23 14:30 ` Luiz Vitor Martinez Cardoso
From: Luiz Vitor Martinez Cardoso @ 2008-03-23 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: ruby-core

You can try re-write PyGPU in Ruby. But it does not make sense to me.

--
Regards,

Luiz Vitor Martinez Cardoso
cel.: (11) 8187-8662