On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 11:53 AM, wrote: > Issue #12004 has been updated by Robert Klemme. > > Vjatseslav Gedrovits wrote: > > > What's the problem with current state of Ruby tech community? > I also asked a similar question but did not notice a reply to that yet. I > am *suspecting* there might not be an issue that needs fixing. My > impression is that this falls into the category "looks like a good idea on > first sight - but probably is not". > This is something that has been answered (by me and a few others), and some of the responses to this request are *clearly* indicative that the “current state of [the] Ruby tech community” is not as healthy as it would appear. Is it unhealthy? Not yet, but there are some deeply angry men here, one of whom has threatened to hound someone out of the community because they aren’t as ideologically pure as they think they should be. From a philosophical perspective, you are assuming that an absence of evidence (of a problem) is evidence of absence (of a problem). This is not necessarily the case. I’m *not* saying that the Ruby community is irretrievably broken, but we do have our problems. Even on this thread, someone has questioned the concept of gender dysphoria and the *lived experience* of people with gender dysphoria because they deem it irrelevant to the “technical community”. Given that there are transpeople in the Ruby community, that dismissal is an active dismissal of them from the Ruby community. This is one of several examples *just in this thread* that, if you consider these problems to be like icebergs, suggest that there are hidden problems. I’d also say that “not broken” isn’t good enough. When I started with Ruby almost fourteen years ago, the community was not just “not broken”, it was “openly welcoming”. I think that the contributions to this thread by more than a few of the anti-side (and at least one of the pro-side) are more along the line of “we welcome you if you look/sound/act just like us”. That saddens me. I want to be more “openly welcoming”, and in 2016 where gender, ethnicity, orientation, religion, etc. discrimination is not only still happening but *rampant* in tech…one of the ways to be more “openly welcoming” is to be very clear that we value the contributions of *all*. -a -- Austin Ziegler • halostatue@gmail.com • austin@halostatue.ca http://www.halostatue.ca/ • http://twitter.com/halostatue