ruby-core@ruby-lang.org archive (unofficial mirror)
From: Torsten Rueger <torsten.rueger@hiit.fi>
To: ruby-core@ruby-lang.org
Subject: Re: How to debug ?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:13:39 +0900	[thread overview]

>  It take me a few seconds to write an extension which crash ruby : now
>  can send you a "pure" ruby stack trace and ask you to debug my
> extension
>  without giving the source. Can you do it ?
You must be right, I am on the wrong list. This is not helpful at all.
It crashed in rb_intern, I should have though that's robust, or you'd
be interested in getting it robust (I mean it's ok to raise an
exception but ruby shouldn't really crash in it's own)
But if you're ok with this approach that you could write something to
crash ruby in a few seconds extension coding, fine by me.
I'll sign off soon.

>  You don't give enough information : the problem is perhaps in your
>  extension and nobody can know whith the information that you give.
I had posted a link. purple.rubyforge.org .

>  One rule is to first search the bug in your extension, before trying
> to look in ruby.
Thank you. Yes I did that. Extensively. I have lots of test code, in
fact that's how I found this bug.
(And please remember, I wasn't asking you to fix it)

So my two questions remain open:

How can I debug such a problem: I mean how do I even find out what all
thise eveal and funcalls do ? Is there some debug switch, so I can
recompile ruby and it checks (asserts) all its assumptions about input
to the functions? Along those lines. (I understand if noone wants to
answer this after these comments)

But the other: Is there anyone here that can create a new list?
(Because ruby-talk is way too full and general)

Thanks
   Torsten