* HTTP_ Headers from clients
@ 2016-10-24  8:16 Olivar Plays
From: Olivar Plays @ 2016-10-24  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rack Development

Hello,

I have a small question about the behaviour of Rack when it comes to
headers send by clients.
Are these always prefixed with HTTP_ ? Or do I need to tell my clients to
explicitly send them as HTTP_ ?

Example, I'm checking on every request in my Rails application whether the
HTTP_COMPANY header is present, and has the correct value.
But I've been running into issues with detecting them.
Right now I have the client app send the headers as COMPANY, and my Rails
app checks as HTTP_COMPANY.
Is this the intended behaviour, or will this go wrong again when the client
suddenly submits the header as HTTP_COMPANY?

e.g is Rack smart enough not to prefix HTTP_COMPANY with HTTTP_ again?

Kind regards,
Arne

--

---

* Re: HTTP_ Headers from clients
@ 2016-10-24 12:01 ` Magnus Holm
From: Magnus Holm @ 2016-10-24 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rack-devel

Hi Arne,

When the client sends a request which looks like this:

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: example.com
Company: Acme

The server you're using will always create the following environment:

{
  'HTTP_COMPANY' => 'Acme',
  'HTTP_HOST' => 'example.com',
  …
}

If the client sends a request which looks like this:

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: example.com
Http-Company: Acme

Then the environment will look like this:

{
  'HTTP_HTTP_COMPANY' => 'Acme',
  'HTTP_HOST' => 'example.com',
  …
}.

So yes: If you're using Rack directly, you will need to use HTTP_COMPANY on
the server-side, and that will correspond to the "Company" header sent from
the client.

// Magnus Holm

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 10:16 AM, Olivar Plays <arne.de.herdt@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a small question about the behaviour of Rack when it comes to
> headers send by clients.
> Are these always prefixed with HTTP_ ? Or do I need to tell my clients to
> explicitly send them as HTTP_ ?
>
> Example, I'm checking on every request in my Rails application whether the
> HTTP_COMPANY header is present, and has the correct value.
> But I've been running into issues with detecting them.
> Right now I have the client app send the headers as COMPANY, and my Rails
> app checks as HTTP_COMPANY.
> Is this the intended behaviour, or will this go wrong again when the
> client suddenly submits the header as HTTP_COMPANY?
>
> e.g is Rack smart enough not to prefix HTTP_COMPANY with HTTTP_ again?
>
> Kind regards,
> Arne
>
> --
>
> ---

---

* Re: HTTP_ Headers from clients
@ 2016-10-24 12:02 ` Lin Jen-Shin (godfat)
From: Lin Jen-Shin (godfat) @ 2016-10-24 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rack-devel

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 4:16 PM, Olivar Plays <arne.de.herdt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a small question about the behaviour of Rack when it comes to headers
> send by clients.
> Are these always prefixed with HTTP_ ? Or do I need to tell my clients to
> explicitly send them as HTTP_ ?

I think according to Rack SPEC, all headers sent from client should be prefixed
with HTTP_, and if your client prefix HTTP_, then you'll end up seeing
HTTP_HTTP_ in your Rack application.

> Example, I'm checking on every request in my Rails application whether the
> HTTP_COMPANY header is present, and has the correct value.
> But I've been running into issues with detecting them.
> Right now I have the client app send the headers as COMPANY, and my Rails
> app checks as HTTP_COMPANY.

This is intended.

> Is this the intended behaviour, or will this go wrong again when the client
> suddenly submits the header as HTTP_COMPANY?
> e.g is Rack smart enough not to prefix HTTP_COMPANY with HTTTP_ again?

As stated above, if your client is sending HTTP_COMPANY, then you'll need to
access it via HTTP_HTTP_COMPANY in your Rack application. Rack should
not try to remove the prefix, otherwise HTTP_COMPANY and COMPANY
would be ambiguous.

It's designed this way to mix HTTP headers into env unambiguously.

--

---

* Re: HTTP_ Headers from clients
@ 2016-10-24 12:28   ` Olivar Plays
From: Olivar Plays @ 2016-10-24 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rack Development

Alright,

then we just need use some documentation and properly communicate this.
At least I know where it stands now with Rack and can deal with it
appropriately.

Thank you for the information.

Kind regards,
Arne