From: Randy Fischer <randy.fischer@gmail.com>
To: rack-devel@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping rackup with multiple rack gems installed
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 20:14:48 -0400	[thread overview]

Funny, I just hit this problem myself today, doing some test deploys
using the newest version of bundler.

Seems like the minimal pre-install requirements for deploying
a sinatra 1.x app with bundler on a server running passenger
phusion is a recentish version of gem (I guess), bundler itself
of course and rack 1.2.  Not sure why bundler is pulling in 1.2
though.

My problem is configuring capistrano to get bundler to do
the right things on the deployment side - pull my gems
out of the repository, no problem there, tell bundler to
use them with the --local switch, fine, but not rebuild
everything.  Currently, I have this pulled out of the
repository

   .../vendor/bundle/ruby/1.8/cache

then capistrano builds linktrees into a shared directory
for bin, doc gems and specifications.  The shared directory
is not torn down over deploys.

Gotta be a better way.  Either there's too much magic, or not
enough, heh?

Thanks
Randy Fischer