* Any plans to drop Ruby 2.2 support from Rack?
@ 2018-03-19 13:34 Alastair Pharo
From: Alastair Pharo @ 2018-03-19 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rack-devel

Hi there,

I am one of the maintainers of [Moneta][1].  Until a couple of days ago
we were still testing against a rather ancient set of MRI Ruby versions,
but we have just decided we need to modernise, and as part of that the
question of what sort of policy we should have concerning the minimum
supported Ruby version (i.e. `required_ruby_version` in the
gemspec) has arisen.

Because Moneta is designed for use with web projects that mostly depend
on Rack, we thought we would follow Rack's lead on this, so that anyone
who is able to use Rack can also use Moneta.  This has of course lead us
to wondering what the Rack team's policy on this is.  Do you think it
makes sense to phase out MRI rubies once they have EOLed, or do you
think there is virtue in maintaining support for older versions beyond
that?  As Ruby 2.2 will be EOLed at the end of this week, we are keen to
know if you think there is merit in maintaining 2.2 support beyond that
time.

Also, my own understanding of how gem semver should fit with minimum
Ruby versions is not that clear.  I see that Rack introduced the `>=
2.2.0` requirement with v2 of the gem, so do you think that changing the
minimum Ruby from say, 2.2 to 2.3 should only be done as part of a major
version change of the gem?

I'm very keen to hear your thoughts on any or all of the above.  Thanks
in advance!

-Alastair

[1]: https://github.com/minad/moneta

--