From: Florian Munz <florian@qype.com>
To: Rack Development <rack-devel@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Missing HTTP reason phrase
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 08:01:52 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

Hi,

I was debugging a problem that our Rails app wasn't sending the HTTP
reason phrase in the response, which causes problems in a J2ME HTTP
client.

(responding with "HTTP/1.1 200" instead of "HTTP/1.1 200 OK")

I was wondering whose responsibility this is? I tested this with a lot
of web servers and most of them just add the reason phrase if it's
missing. Nginx, which we use, is the only one that doesn't do it.

The HTTP spec states "The reason phrases listed here are only
recommendations -- they MAY be replaced by local equivalents without
affecting the protocol". This currently doesn't seem to be possible
with Rack, since it only passes the integer.

Any thoughts if this something that should be fixed in Rack or in
nginx?

Cheers,
Florian