* Why is there quote parsing on queries?
@ 2010-01-28 18:20 Simon Chiang
From: Simon Chiang @ 2010-01-28 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rack Development

Rack currently parses out quoted values such that you get this:

  foo='bar'   # => {"foo" => "bar"}

Rather than this:

  foo='bar'   # => {"foo" => "'bar'"}

I came across this when I was trying to send multiple quoted values
through a text field such that:

  Text Field           Encoded String                  String After
Parsing
  "'a' 'b'"                %27a%27+%27b%27        "a' 'b"
  " 'a' 'b' "              +%27a%27+%27b%27+    " 'a' 'b' "

It seems confusing because when a user adds spaces, the quotes are
suddenly preserved.  Obviously a user could work around this by
quoting the whole thing (ie "\"'a' 'b'\"") but I just wanted to know
if this is part of the URL specification someplace, or is quote
parsing a convention introduced by rack?