From: Aaron Patterson <tenderlove@ruby-lang.org>
To: rack-devel@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: HTTP2: Are we there yet?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 17:25:42 -0800	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 02:28:46PM -0800, Tiago Cardoso wrote:
> Hi, I've been looking for developments in the rack framework concerning its
> update towards great big http2. I've seen the presentation from Aaron
> Patterson from October/November, and since then, only seen the events
> middleware landing in master. And there's an alpha 2.0 version.
>
> I assume that http2 won't come with 2.0 . Still, I'd like to know where we
> stand, what's missing for rack to develop further in that direction and
> where could I help/contribute. Hopefully there's a document someone can
> redirect me to.
>
> I'm really looking forward to hearing from someone, possibly Mr. Patterson,

Right now, my rough plan is:

Add a new key / value pair to the env hash where the value is an object
that, when called, does server push.  The webserver is responsible for
implementing what that means (my current experiments will re-issue a
request to the app server, so the application can't tell the difference
between a request that originated from a browser vs a request that
originated from a push).  This will give us server push (which is
the only thing that h2 does differently than h1 from Rack's
perspective) while maintaining backwards compatibility.  Probably Rack 3
will diverge from hashes everywhere, but this should work for now.

Other stuff that h2 does, like keeping the connection alive, header
compression, etc isn't Rack's concern.

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/