On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 10:37:32PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote: > Aaron Patterson wrote: > > The main reason I bumped it up to Ruby 2.2.x is because that will be the > > minimum version of Ruby I'll be stuck with throughout Rack 2.x's > > lifetime. IOW, I can't drop Ruby versions in anything but a major > > release so I'm being conservative and only going with the latest (at the > > time that was 2.2). > > > > I could be convinced to bring down the version number, but I'd like to > > know why first. :) > > Because other people are _always_ slow to upgrade :) Yes, exactly. I am betting that by the time people upgrade to Rack 2.0, Ruby 2.2.2 will be old hat (Ruby 2.3 has been released already!) ;) > However, I suppose it's fine to bring the requirement up with a > major version bump of Rack. I don't want to burden you with > old cruft, either. > > unicorn may also be able to drop the dependency on rack by > lazy loading: > > * Rack::Utils::HTTP_STATUS_CODES is the main thing we use from > Rack at runtime; and unicorn would actually function fine if > the hash were empty; HTTP status lines would just be short > and non-descriptive. > > * The Rack::Builder dependency can be optional, even. > > Fwiw, I plan to support Rack 1.x and Ruby 1.9.3 under unicorn for a few > more years because of LTS distros. New versions take priority, of > course. Ok. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Removing the strict requirement from the gemspec *is* on the table, as long as we document the supported versions in the README. I don't plan on using anything that would be specific to Ruby 2.2.2 and up, but I don't want to be burdened by older ones either. A simple comment in the README would suffice. -- Aaron Patterson http://tenderlovemaking.com/ -- --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Rack Development" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rack-devel+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.