* rational for rewind()
@ 2014-05-22 21:12 Torsten Robitzki
From: Torsten Robitzki @ 2014-05-22 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rack-devel

Hello,
I'm implementing a C++ comet web server, that (tries) to implement rack to
adapt ruby applications. Currently I'm reading a body very naively put the
body into a ruby String and wrap it with a StringIO to provide the
rack.input for the implementation. As I'm going to use the server for
uploading images, I would like to implement a real, stream-like object to
circumvent the need to buffer the POST body before handing it to the
application.

Now, I've read the rack specs and read about rewind(). To implement
rewind(), I would have to store the whole body, even when the upstream
application just calculates some kind of checksum on the body, or uploads
it to s3. What's the rational behind this part of the specification? Is it
possible to not implement rewind() and to tell applications that need
rewind(), to keep there own copy of the body, in case it is needed?

kind regards,
Torsten

--

---