I am doing some work with JRuby that may need asynchronous HTTP support. There doesn't seem to be much documentation about this online, so I did some digging to see how the existing Rack async servers do things, and wrote up some documentation for myself. I thought maybe others would find it useful: http://polycrystal.org/2012/04/15/asynchronous_responses_in_rack.html I also found some posts from a couple years ago implying that 'async.callback' will never be a part of the Rack specification: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/rack-devel/async/rack-devel/fu58paleLJg/frwK57QHNn4J Is this still the case? I must say I'm a bit disappointed by this discovery, but I don't fully understand all the issues (in particular, my documentation above ignores interaction with middleware).