|author||Eric Wong <email@example.com>||2016-12-26 21:41:15 +0000|
|committer||Eric Wong <firstname.lastname@example.org>||2016-12-26 21:41:15 +0000|
ssoma is not worth marketing, but perhaps our mirror of the git mailing list archives is...
Diffstat (limited to 'Documentation/design_notes.txt')
1 files changed, 8 insertions, 3 deletions
diff --git a/Documentation/design_notes.txt b/Documentation/design_notes.txt
index c7a8b26d..c637302d 100644
@@ -56,7 +56,8 @@ Why email?
* git, one of the most widely-used version control systems, includes many
tools for for email, including: git-format-patch(1), git-send-email(1),
git-am(1), git-imap-send(1). Furthermore, the development of git itself
- is based on the git mailing list.
+ is based on the git mailing list: https://public-inbox.org/git/
+ (or http://hjrcffqmbrq6wope.onion/git/ for Tor users)
* Email is already the de-facto form of communication in many Free Software
@@ -86,6 +87,11 @@ Why perl 5?
* git and SpamAssassin both use it, so it should be one less thing for
admins to install and waste disk space with.
+* Distributing compiled binaries has higher costs for storage/cache
+ space is required for each architecture. Having a runnable,
+ source-only distribution means any user already has access to all
+ of our source.
@@ -112,12 +118,11 @@ Laziness
* Avoids bikeshedding about web UI decisions, GUI-lovers can write their
own GUI-friendly interfaces (HTML or native) based on public archives.
- Maybe one day integrated MUAs will feature built-in git protocol support!
-* Getting users to install/run ssoma (or any new tool) is difficult.
+* Getting users to install/run any new tool is difficult.
The web views must be easily read/cache/mirror-able.
* There may also be a significant number of webmail users without