Hi Arif, On Wed, 24 Aug 2016, Johannes Schindelin wrote: > On Tue, 23 Aug 2016, Arif Khokar wrote: > > > On 08/20/2016 03:57 PM, Jakub Narębski wrote: > > > > > But perhaps the problem is current lack of tooling in the opposite > > > direction, namely getting patches from mailing list and applying > > > them to GitHub repo, or Bitbucket, or GitLab. Though with working > > > Git, it is something easier than sending patches via email; it is > > > enough that email client can save email to a file (or better, whole > > > sub-thread to file or files). > > > > Given that public-inbox provides an NNTP interface, couldn't the > > ARTICLE NNTP command be used to easily retrieve the > > messages in a given patch series (at least compared to POP or IMAP). > > Perhaps git-send-email could be modified to include the message-id > > value of each patch in the series that it sends to the mailing list > > and include it in the cover letter. > > I am no expert in the NNTP protocol (I abandoned News long ago), but if > you go from HTML, you can automate the process without requiring changes > in format-patch. > > > Then a script could be written (i.e., git-download-patch) which could > > parse the cover letter message (specified using its message-id), and > > download all the patches in series, which can then be applied using > > git-am. This would in fact take the email client out of the equation > > in terms of saving patches. > > I recently adapted an old script I had to apply an entire patch series > given the GMane link to its cover letter: > > https://github.com/git-for-windows/build-extra/blob/master/apply-from-gmane.sh > > Maybe you find it in you to adapt that to work with public-inbox.org? Oh well. That would have been too easy a task, right? As it happens, I needed this functionality myself (when reworking my git-path-in-subdir patch to include Mike Rappazzo's previous patch series that tried to fix the same bug). I copy-edited the script to work with public-inbox.org, it accepts a Message-ID or URL or GMane URL and will try to apply the patch (or patch series) on top of the current revision: https://github.com/git-for-windows/build-extra/blob/2268850552c7/apply-from-public-inbox.sh Ciao, Johannes