Hi Arif, On Tue, 23 Aug 2016, Arif Khokar wrote: > On 08/20/2016 03:57 PM, Jakub Narębski wrote: > > > But perhaps the problem is current lack of tooling in the opposite > > direction, namely getting patches from mailing list and applying them > > to GitHub repo, or Bitbucket, or GitLab. Though with working Git, it > > is something easier than sending patches via email; it is enough that > > email client can save email to a file (or better, whole sub-thread to > > file or files). > > Given that public-inbox provides an NNTP interface, couldn't the ARTICLE > NNTP command be used to easily retrieve the messages in a > given patch series (at least compared to POP or IMAP). Perhaps > git-send-email could be modified to include the message-id value of each > patch in the series that it sends to the mailing list and include it in > the cover letter. I am no expert in the NNTP protocol (I abandoned News long ago), but if you go from HTML, you can automate the process without requiring changes in format-patch. > Then a script could be written (i.e., git-download-patch) which could > parse the cover letter message (specified using its message-id), and > download all the patches in series, which can then be applied using > git-am. This would in fact take the email client out of the equation in > terms of saving patches. I recently adapted an old script I had to apply an entire patch series given the GMane link to its cover letter: https://github.com/git-for-windows/build-extra/blob/master/apply-from-gmane.sh Maybe you find it in you to adapt that to work with public-inbox.org? Ciao, Johannes