* Questions about Public Inbox setup and configuration
@ 2021-12-25 22:34 Soft Works
From: Soft Works @ 2021-12-25 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Hi,

I have set up public inbox on a Debian system, intended to mirror just
a single mailing list, separate and independent form other PI mirrors.

Getting all information together wasn’t as easy as it could be, but eventually
I got it all working.

Though, I have a number of questions to which I couldn’t find an answer.

1. At the top of the page it says "($INBOX_DIR/description missing)", even
   though the maildir contains a description file.
   (interestingly, several mirrors are 'suffering' for the same problem)
   How can I fix this?

2. How are the HTML views generated? Are there any templates that I could
   modify?

3. When a message cannot be found, it shows a list of mirrors to check for
   that message. How can I disable this?
   (it's more than unlikely that any of them would have it)

4. The services are running behind NGINX which forwards the requests to
   a local-only port. Now the www interface is showing URLs at many places
   like http://localhost:8123/mailbox instead of the public URL.
   How can I set this up correctly?

Kind regards,
softworkz

* Re: Questions about Public Inbox setup and configuration
@ 2021-12-26 20:13 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-12-26 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Soft Works; +Cc: meta

Soft Works writes:

> Though, I have a number of questions to which I couldn’t find an answer.
>
> 1. At the top of the page it says "($INBOX_DIR/description missing)", even
>    though the maildir contains a description file.
>    (interestingly, several mirrors are 'suffering' for the same problem)
>    How can I fix this?

Hmm, maildir?  Perhaps the issue is that you're placing this file in the
wrong place.  The description file for each inbox should be at the
directory pointed to by publicinbox.$name.inboxdir in
~/.public-inbox/config.  The first time you add it, you may need to
restart or send a SIGHUP to the httpd service, but my understanding is
that should be unnecessary as of v1.7.0 (specifically commit b9e7ecbb,
inbox: drop memoization/preload, cleanup expires caches).

> 2. How are the HTML views generated? Are there any templates that I could
>    modify?

No, I don't think there are any templates you can modify.  In order to
see how the HTML is generated, perhaps lib/PublicInbox/WWW*.pm files and
lib/PublicInbox/View.pm would be the best source files to start with.

> 3. When a message cannot be found, it shows a list of mirrors to check for
>    that message. How can I disable this?
>    (it's more than unlikely that any of them would have it)

Those URLs are hard coded in lib/PublicInbox/ExtMsg.pm, and there's no
way to change them or disable their display via configuration yet.
However, there is a TODO comment in that file about making the list
user-configurable, so I imagine Eric would be open to a patch.

> 4. The services are running behind NGINX which forwards the requests to
>    a local-only port. Now the www interface is showing URLs at many places
>    like http://localhost:8123/mailbox instead of the public URL.
>    How can I set this up correctly?

Have you tried something like

  proxy_set_header    HOST $host;

?

See public-inbox's examples/nginx_proxy for an example.

* RE: Questions about Public Inbox setup and configuration
@ 2021-12-27  3:40   ` Soft Works
From: Soft Works @ 2021-12-27  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: meta

Yup, I've been in fact looking at the wrong dir. I thought it must be the
right one as it already had a description file and the git inbox dir
didn't. Maybe it should be automatically created by 'initialize'?
(given that many other mirrors seem to have the same issue)

I think the most confusing part was the $INBOX_DIR in the message, which
makes you think it's an environment variable (which isn't set).

> The first time you add it, you may need to
> restart or send a SIGHUP to the httpd service, but my understanding is
> that should be unnecessary as of v1.7.0 (specifically commit b9e7ecbb,
> inbox: drop memoization/preload, cleanup expires caches).

Interestingly it was the other way round: it noted the change when adding
the description file, but it didn’t update on change, neither on rename
(and rename back). Not that this would matter in any way, though ;-)

Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction!

> > 2. How are the HTML views generated? Are there any templates that I could
> >    modify?
>
> No, I don't think there are any templates you can modify.  In order to
> see how the HTML is generated, perhaps lib/PublicInbox/WWW*.pm files and
> lib/PublicInbox/View.pm would be the best source files to start with.
>
> > 3. When a message cannot be found, it shows a list of mirrors to check for
> >    that message. How can I disable this?
> >    (it's more than unlikely that any of them would have it)
>
> Those URLs are hard coded in lib/PublicInbox/ExtMsg.pm, and there's no
> way to change them or disable their display via configuration yet.
> However, there is a TODO comment in that file about making the list
> user-configurable, so I imagine Eric would be open to a patch.

Looking at the code files made me remember why I never got warm
with Perl ;-)

> > 4. The services are running behind NGINX which forwards the requests to
> >    a local-only port. Now the www interface is showing URLs at many places
> >    like http://localhost:8123/mailbox instead of the public URL.
> >    How can I set this up correctly?
>
> Have you tried something like
>
>   proxy_set_header    HOST $host;
>
> ?
>
> See public-inbox's examples/nginx_proxy for an example.

I had seen the other example for running the httpd via systemd,
but I missed that one.

I think it would be really helpful when the documentation for the
individual components would include references to the examples in that
folder. This would have saved me a lot of time as I had found the
other examples (for httpd setup) only accidentally and after quite
some time.

Anyway, I got it all set up and running well (scratch 2+3) and
big thanks to you for helping me!

Kind regards,
softworkz