From: "Philip Oakley" <philipoakley@iee.org>
To: "Eric Wong" <e@80x24.org>
Cc: <meta@public-inbox.org>
Subject: Re: reveiwing git main in recent (tday) chronological order
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 23:40:20 -0000	[thread overview]

From: "Eric Wong" <e@80x24.org>
> Philip Oakley <philipoakley@iee.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My various email providers (my public mail address is forwarded to two
>> destinations) appear to have some aggressive spam protection which
>> deletes
>> valid emails from the git list.
>>
>> Is there a way of seeing the most recent git list emails in strict date
>> -time order, so I can see if I have missed any threads or authors?
>
> So "strict date-time order" is dependent on when public-inbox.org
> receives the mail, not according to the Date: header?

I think that's OK, as long as it's within a few hours (normally) of sent
time then that's OK.
My work email is very bad for removing emails from senders with high end
UTF-8 chars (or it feels like that). I missed a whole 16 patch series late
last week - it was only the reviews that cued me to its omission.

> If so, the Atom feed is chronological:
> https://public-inbox.org/git/new.atom
>
> There's also https://public-inbox.org/git/new.html which is the
> default landing page for admins who don't run Xapian search.

That looks useful.

> NNTP article numbers on news.public-inbox.org are also
> chronological according to time received at public-inbox.org
>
> If you want to go according to the Date: header, you can use
> an empty search query:
>
> https://public-inbox.org/git/?q=

Interesting. My MUA missed the '=' of the end of the link when highlighting!
Without it it wasn't what I was hoping for. With it it looks quite
acceptable.

I also see that I can add /q=gmane:<num> as well (should have seen that
earlier).

>> I didn't see anything in the help.
>
> I'm not sure if new.html is linked, anywhere.  It's only the
> default view for non-Xapian users, I'll see about making it more
> visible.
>
>> Also, is there a way of providing a gmane id number in the URL (rather
>> than
>> via the search box), for easy reference to old thread.
>> e.g. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/45195/ (used
>> in
>> the Git documentation).
>>
>> I did not see anything in the help about how to include a search term in
>> the
>> URL.
>
> All the search terms use "q" as the query parameter name,
> similar to how existing search engines work (at least DuckDuckGo
> and Google).
>
> I think escaping the ':' is safer, so that becomes '%3A':
>
> https://public-inbox.org/git/?q=gmane%3A5
>
> But maybe the following works for most people:
>
> https://public-inbox.org/git/?q=gmane:5

If you can add to the help page that the search terms can be added at the
end of the https://public-inbox.org/git/?q=<search_term> link, it may help
folk like me who didn't quite make the leap.

> However, you can expand the "thread" view with an extra "x=t":
>
> https://public-inbox.org/git/?q=gmane%3A5&x=t
>
> (or x=A for Atom feed)
>

> Hope that helps!

Very useful!