From: Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com>
To: Eric Wong <e@80x24.org>
Cc: meta@public-inbox.org
Subject: Re: inbox.comp.version-control.git just stopped working
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 13:06:28 +0300	[thread overview]

Quickly: still doesn't work :-(

Eric Wong <e@80x24.org> writes:
> Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using inbox.comp.version-control.git for a few days now, and it
>> worked fine till now. I'm using Gnus from within Emacs to access it
>> via NNTP.
>>
>> Just a few minutes ago, however, attempts to enter the
>> inbox.comp.version-control.git from Gnus started to give "Server
>> closed connection" error, even though some other groups on
>> public-inbox still work fine.
>
> Uh oh, did you notice any delay in how long it took for you to see
> this message from when Gnus started connecting?

It's about 4 seconds after Gnus successfully opens connection.

> I'm not familiar with Gnus or Emacs at all, but is there a way you can
> show me a protocol dump?

I dunno how to do it right now, but I'll try to figure out. Maybe using
tcpdump is the simplest...

>> The only difference I see is that inbox.comp.version-control.git has
>> much more messages than most of the other groups on the
>> public-inbox... wait...
>>
>> Here are 3 fattest groups, and none of them I can visit from Gnus:
>>
>> 438320: inbox.comp.lang.ruby.core
>> 438320: inbox.comp.lang.ruby.dev
>
> Eeek, I noticed 438320 was introduced via ruby-talk; so maybe I have a
> bug in that causing messages to leak into the other Ruby lists I
> follow :x

Trying to open those groups didn't work somewhat differently, but now it
does, I think due to lesser number of messages:

85962: inbox.comp.lang.ruby.core
85958: inbox.comp.lang.ruby.dev

>> 341199: inbox.comp.version-control.git
>
> OK, 341199 looks reasonable.
>
>> To check if it's Gnus problem, I've just visited:
>>
>> 1523921: gmane.linux.debian.devel.bugs.general
>>
>> and it works fine.
>>
>> Any idea what's wrong between Gnus and public-inbox for large groups?
>
> Not sure, I haven't made any changes to the code running on
> "public-inbox.org" in a few weeks, now.

I think it's there for a long time, and only showed itself once a
group gets big enough.

> I suspect there's a fairness problem in the NNTP server in how it
> handles XOVER and that might cause timeouts in clients.
>
> Fwiw, I might not be online much the next few days.

No problem, thanks for looking at it!

Eric Wong <e@80x24.org> writes:

> Eric Wong <e@80x24.org> wrote:
>> Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Any idea what's wrong between Gnus and public-inbox for large groups?
>>
>> Not sure, I haven't made any changes to the code running on
>> "public-inbox.org" in a few weeks, now.  I suspect there's a
>> fairness problem in the NNTP server in how it handles XOVER
>> and that might cause timeouts in clients.
>
> I just deployed this RFC on news.public-inbox.org and hope it
> improves things:
>
> https://public-inbox.org/meta/20180307095222.18699-1-e@80x24.org/raw
>
>> Fwiw, I might not be online much the next few days.
>
> Lets hope we get to the bottom of this quickly :>

That doesn't seem to be it, as it's still doesn't work, the same way as
before. I'll get back with protocol dump collected...

Thanks!

-- Sergey