 help / Atom feed
* interop with leafnode
@ 2018-10-17 16:28 Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2018-10-17 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Jon Corbet turned me onto his nntp server instance which archives a
bunch of mailing lists and leverages public-inbox.

I excitedly accessed it directly from gnus. Oh, joy, bliss, rapture!
Blazing fast, useful at a glance.

In a paroxysm of overenthusiasm for the the good ole days I then setup a
leafnode real quick and pointed it at his instance so I could replicate...

For most (not all) traffic, leafnode does this:

> Oct 16 22:08:01 spaceheater fetchnews[3045]: lwn.kernel.lkml:
> considering articles 200621 - 200643
> Oct 16 22:08:01 spaceheater fetchnews[3045]: Discarding article 200621
> - no Path:  found

:(

I'm really glad to hear of this project. It sounds like more of the
right way to do this is via a local git?

* Re: interop with leafnode
@ 2018-10-27  0:10 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2018-10-27  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht; +Cc: meta

Dave Taht <dave@taht.net> wrote:
> I excitedly accessed it directly from gnus. Oh, joy, bliss, rapture!
> Blazing fast, useful at a glance.
>
> In a paroxysm of overenthusiasm for the the good ole days I then setup a
> leafnode real quick and pointed it at his instance so I could replicate...
>
> For most (not all) traffic, leafnode does this:
>
> > Oct 16 22:08:01 spaceheater fetchnews[3045]: lwn.kernel.lkml:
> > considering articles 200621 - 200643
> > Oct 16 22:08:01 spaceheater fetchnews[3045]: Discarding article 200621
> > - no Path:  found

I guess there's some bug or missing commands in public-inbox-nntpd
which leafnode relies on.  Sorry I haven't had time to investigate
or do much with public-inbox, lately (but maybe you could :)

> :(
>
> I'm really glad to hear of this project. It sounds like more of the
> right way to do this is via a local git?

Yes, git clone/fetch + running your own public-inbox-nntpd instance
and using slrn/gnus/mutt(w/ nntp patch)/sylpheed/thunderbird all
seem to work.

* Re: interop with leafnode
@ 2018-10-27  0:33   ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2018-10-27  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong; +Cc: meta

Eric Wong <e@80x24.org> writes:

> Dave Taht <dave@taht.net> wrote:
>> I excitedly accessed it directly from gnus. Oh, joy, bliss, rapture!
>> Blazing fast, useful at a glance.
>>
>> In a paroxysm of overenthusiasm for the the good ole days I then
>> setup a
>> leafnode real quick and pointed it at his instance so I could
>> replicate...
>>
>> For most (not all) traffic, leafnode does this:
>>
>> > Oct 16 22:08:01 spaceheater fetchnews[3045]: lwn.kernel.lkml:
>> > considering articles 200621 - 200643
>> > Oct 16 22:08:01 spaceheater fetchnews[3045]: Discarding article
>> > 200621
>> > - no Path:  found
>
> I guess there's some bug or missing commands in public-inbox-nntpd
> which leafnode relies on.  Sorry I haven't had time to investigate
> or do much with public-inbox, lately (but maybe you could :)
>
>> :(
>>
>> I'm really glad to hear of this project. It sounds like more of the
>> right way to do this is via a local git?
>
> Yes, git clone/fetch + running your own public-inbox-nntpd instance
> and using slrn/gnus/mutt(w/ nntp patch)/sylpheed/thunderbird all
> seem to work.

I will try to modernize.

* Re: interop with leafnode
@ 2018-10-27  0:43     ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2018-10-27  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht; +Cc: meta

Dave Taht <dave@taht.net> wrote:
> I will try to modernize.

It's probably only missing a few commands to support leafnode
or other stuff (e.g. NNTP replication with innd).  I just don't
have experience with leafnode, and lately I've been fighting
with hardware problems, bills and taxes :<

* Re: interop with leafnode
@ 2018-10-27 16:07       ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2018-10-27 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong; +Cc: meta

Eric Wong <e@80x24.org> writes:

> Dave Taht <dave@taht.net> wrote:
>> I will try to modernize.
>
> It's probably only missing a few commands to support leafnode
> or other stuff (e.g. NNTP replication with innd).  I just don't
> have experience with leafnode, and lately I've been fighting
> with hardware problems, bills and taxes :<

Back in the day I used to maintain an innd instance, too.

I am tempted to start up a news instance again, just because
the traffic rate is now so low and because I miss things like comp.arch