* final "null" in "lei q" JSON output
@ 2021-03-11 22:43 Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2021-03-11 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

The standard JSON (not line-delimited) output is an array with
a "null" element as the last element.

I don't really like it, but it seems necessary if we're
doing parallel writes to stdout and JSON doesn't allow
trailing commas.

So I don't think that part is considered part of the stable
output.

Maybe it could be tweaked to show stats, or something else,
I don't know.

Thoughts?

* Re: final "null" in "lei q" JSON output
@ 2021-03-12  4:22 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-03-12  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong; +Cc: meta

Eric Wong writes:

> The standard JSON (not line-delimited) output is an array with
> a "null" element as the last element.
>
> I don't really like it, but it seems necessary if we're
> doing parallel writes to stdout and JSON doesn't allow
> trailing commas.

I dunno, it doesn't really bother me, and it seems like a fine solution
to the problem.

> So I don't think that part is considered part of the stable
> output.

I think that's fair enough.

> Maybe it could be tweaked to show stats, or something else,
> I don't know.

Nothing too useful comes to mind, but if someone does think of
something, substituting it for the trailing null makes sense to me.
Until then, my vote would be to leave the helpful creature be :)