* Debian's Perl CI tests fail for public-inbox
@ 2022-11-14 18:26 Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2022-11-14 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta; +Cc: Ricardo Ribalda

Hello,

based on a MR by Ricardo Ribalda Delgado[1] I looked into the automatic
CI possibilities for Debian packages. I enabled it for the Debian
packaging repository and there are a few failures. Given my little Perl
foo I don't know how to properly handle all of them.

The pipeline just runs perl -wc $file for each installed file.

For /usr/share/perl5/PublicInbox/WwwHighlight.pm this might be fixed by
build-depending on libhighlight-perl?

/usr/share/perl5/PublicInbox/DSKQXS.pm fails because it's BSD stuff not
available/needed on Linux. How should this be resolved? Not installing
that module? Or is running perl -wc on everything just a bad idea?

The full log is available on https://salsa.debian.org/ukleinek/public-inbox/-/jobs/3485533

Best regards
Uwe

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/ukleinek/public-inbox/-/merge_requests/1,
thanks, even if I didn't pick up everything in there for 1.9.0-1

Industrial Linux Solutions                 | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Debian's Perl CI tests fail for public-inbox
@ 2022-11-14 20:32 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2022-11-14 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kleine-König; +Cc: meta, Ricardo Ribalda

Uwe Kleine-König <u.kleine-koenig@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> based on a MR by Ricardo Ribalda Delgado[1] I looked into the automatic
> CI possibilities for Debian packages. I enabled it for the Debian
> packaging repository and there are a few failures. Given my little Perl
> foo I don't know how to properly handle all of them.
>
> The pipeline just runs perl -wc $file for each installed file.
>
> For /usr/share/perl5/PublicInbox/WwwHighlight.pm this might be fixed by
> build-depending on libhighlight-perl?

Yes.  Fwiw, I would prefer a softer Suggests/Recommends for
regular users for libhighlight-perl since there'll likely
be lei-only users who will be annoyed they're wasting
bandwidth+space on HTML stuff.

> /usr/share/perl5/PublicInbox/DSKQXS.pm fails because it's BSD stuff not
> available/needed on Linux. How should this be resolved? Not installing
> that module? Or is running perl -wc on everything just a bad idea?

*shrug* maybe Debian kFreeBSD picks up again :)

I could workaround it so `perl -wc' works on Linux, but it'd
make the code uglier and (perhaps immeasurably) slower on FreeBSD.

> The full log is available on https://salsa.debian.org/ukleinek/public-inbox/-/jobs/3485533

Is that visible w/o JavaScript?  This is an accessibility problem.

> Best regards
> Uwe
>
> [1] https://salsa.debian.org/ukleinek/public-inbox/-/merge_requests/1,
> thanks, even if I didn't pick up everything in there for 1.9.0-1

I got the "Email patches" download link, at least:
https://salsa.debian.org/ukleinek/public-inbox/-/merge_requests/1.patch