* Recording archiver origins in git
@ 2021-06-28 21:26 Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2021-06-28 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Hello:

I'm working away on grokmirror+public-inbox replication, and I'm trying to
come up with a good solution for passing the "archiver origins" info. In
examples/grok-pull.post_update_hook.sh, we try to get this information out of
a curl call to the clone origin, but this may not be reliable for a number of
reasons:

1. we may be cloning from an intermediary location that only serves the git
   repositories and the manifest file (e.g. erol.kernel.org)
2. the call may retrieve information relevant to the intermediary, and not to
   the origins of the archive

I'm thinking of including a special location in the git repo itself for
passing some of the same info currently found in the config snippet, e.g. in
refs/meta/origins.

Imaginary code snippet:

$ git show refs/meta/origins:i
[metadata]
source = smtp
listaddress = linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
listid = linux-kernel.vger.kernel.org
archive-url = https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel
archive-contact = postmaster@kernel.org

This way, even if the archive gets mirrored around a bunch of times, it's
still possible to track where it originated, and if the original archive info
becomes obsolete, someone can update the information without it affecting the
rest of the archive.

Does that sound sane?

-K