* should lei attempt to index mail outside of git?
@ 2021-03-03  3:53 Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2021-03-03  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Currently, every mail lei indexes has a git blob associated with it.

I understand some folks might want to keep using their existing
storage and not have a redundant, expensive-to-erase copy of the
mail in git; but just want an indexing-only solution like mairix.

So, is this a feature worth implementing?

* yes [Re: should lei attempt to index mail outside of git?]
@ 2021-05-02  6:12 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2021-05-02  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Eric Wong <e@80x24.org> wrote:
> Currently, every mail lei indexes has a git blob associated with it.

It still will.  But we have PublicInbox::ContentHash::git_sha

> I understand some folks might want to keep using their existing
> storage and not have a redundant, expensive-to-erase copy of the
> mail in git; but just want an indexing-only solution like mairix.

At least for Maildir, IMAP, and NNTP where random access is
reliable and fast, it should be doable.

> So, is this a feature worth implementing?

Since we have ~/.local/share/lei/store/mail_sync.sqlite3
nowadays, I think it's possible to make LeiToMail fallback
to retrieving from Maildir, IMAP, NNTP; at least.  mbox
can be a pain since message offsets can change.