From: Eric Wong <e@80x24.org>
To: meta@public-inbox.org
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 17:37:26 +0000	[thread overview]

Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> One of the services I think would be interesting to provide is ability for
> people to subscribe to "curated saved searches". For example, a kernel
> subsystem maintainer can define a set of query parameters (a thread mentions
> these files/functions/terms, etc), and allow others to follow this saved
> search either by defining it as a remote source for their own lei command, or
> by subscribing to it as they would to any regular mailing list.
>
> The latter is specifically something I think would be of interest to kernel
> folks, so I envision that we'd have something like the following:
>
> - a maintainer publishes a configuration file we can pass to lei

The command-line might be enough, the pathname of the current
state/config file is a bit tricky and tied to its output.
I suppose "lei import-search" can be a command, though...

> - our backend lei process uses all of lore.kernel.org sources to create and
>   continuously update a new public-inbox repository with matching search
>   results

There's already some accomodations for that in LeiSavedSearch
which can present itself as a PublicInbox::Inbox-ish object to
PublicInbox::WWW (untested).

Searching an within LSS isn't implemented, yet, but I think it's
doable w/o extra Xapian storage.

However, git object storage isn't duplicated, which is nice for
local use (instaweb-like), but supporting clone/fetch isn't as
natural...

Perhaps supporting a v2 inbox as an lei q output destination
is in order:

	lei q --output v2publicinbox:/path/to/v2 --shared SEARCH_TERMS

--shared would be "git clone --shared", the new v2 inbox can
use ~/.cache/lei/all_locals_ever.git/ as an alternate and not
duplicate space for blobs.

> - we set up a mlmmj list that doesn't receive any direct mail but is only fed
>   from saved search results; people can subscribe/unsubscribe as they would
>   with any other mlmmj list
>
> Any particular reason this wouldn't work?

Nope :)  As long as all the data formats can interoperate
(mostly RFC5322/2822).  "lei convert" is nice, too :)