From: Eric Wong <e@80x24.org>
To: "Uwe Kleine-König" <u.kleine-koenig@pengutronix.de>
Cc: meta@public-inbox.org
Subject: Re: Setup woes
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 11:09:46 +0000	[thread overview]

Uwe Kleine-König <u.kleine-koenig@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 10:11:10PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> > Uwe Kleine-König <u.kleine-koenig@pengutronix.de> wrote:

> I scraped the whole rewriting now and use:
>
>         ScriptAlias / "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/public-inbox.cgi/"
>
> which gets rid of the added script name. So all my problems are fixed
> now.

Good to know and thanks for the data point.

> However this removes the freedom to put stuff into the document root
> that is then served at the matching location. Does that make this
> solution unsuitable for the documentation?

Yes, it's probably unsuitable...  There really ought to be a way
to fallback to static content.

The static fallback is important if caching solutions (e.g.
varnish) aren't available.  Also, the WwwListing didn't exist
initially since I figured webmasters might want a custom
index.html anyways.

Most of the endpoints end with "/" (e.g. /T/ or /t/), so they're
even easy-to-mirror/fallback with only static webserver
functions.  An admin running without varnish can quickly put up
an index.html for any msgid and serve the static content if a
/$MSGID/, /$MSGID/t/, /$MSGID/T/, /$MSGID/t.mbox.gz endpoint
gets overloaded.

They could even script something to auto-refresh those static
endpoints periodically (but I guess it's much easier to just run
varnish :>)

There might also be other stuff (robots.txt, .well-known/)