* generic message-id redirector
@ 2021-02-01 10:41 Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2021-02-01 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Hello,

I'm currently trying to get up a public-inbox instance and I fail to
setup a generic message-id redirector as lore.kernel.org implements it.
That is a request to https://lore.kernel.org/r/message@id is redirected
to https://lore.kernel.org/somelist/message@id for a list "somelist"
that has a message with the given Message-Id.

I fail to find this feature in the code and wonder if it is a feature
that was added only to the public-inbox clone used to operate
lore.kernel.org.

Currently I have:

$ curl http://localhost:8080/r/20210201083307.GI19583@pengutronix.de/; echo
Not Found

which I would expect to be redirected to:
$  curl -s http://localhost:8080/barebox/20210201083307.GI19583@pengutronix.de/  | wc -l
148

Is there some additional code or configuration necessary to make this
work? Am I missing something?

Best regards
Uwe

Industrial Linux Solutions                 | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: generic message-id redirector
@ 2021-02-01 11:10 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2021-02-01 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kleine-König; +Cc: meta

Uwe Kleine-König <u.kleine-koenig@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently trying to get up a public-inbox instance and I fail to
> setup a generic message-id redirector as lore.kernel.org implements it.
> That is a request to https://lore.kernel.org/r/message@id is redirected
> to https://lore.kernel.org/somelist/message@id for a list "somelist"
> that has a message with the given Message-Id.
>
> I fail to find this feature in the code and wonder if it is a feature
> that was added only to the public-inbox clone used to operate
> lore.kernel.org.

PublicInbox::NewsWWW fallback lets //$host/$message_id work (no /r/).
It can be run as a standalone PSGI, too, see examples/newswww.psgi

At least it works on my Tor .onion mirror of lore:
http://lore.czquwvybam4bgbro.onion/ and
http://rskvuqcfnfizkjg6h5jvovwb3wkikzcwskf54lfpymus6mxrzw67b5ad.onion/

To get /r/, you can use the "mount" directive in the
Plack::Builder DSL as shown in example/newswww.psgi

> Is there some additional code or configuration necessary to make this
> work? Am I missing something?

That said, I seem to recall lore.kernel.org/r/ existing before NewsWWW,
so maybe it was something else, too.  (It may have even existed
somewhere on kernel.org before lore)

* Re: generic message-id redirector
@ 2021-02-01 13:26   ` Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2021-02-01 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong; +Cc: meta, Konstantin Ryabitsev

Hello,

[adding Konstantin to Cc:]

On Mon, Feb 01, 2021 at 11:10:49AM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> Uwe Kleine-König <u.kleine-koenig@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> > I'm currently trying to get up a public-inbox instance and I fail to
> > setup a generic message-id redirector as lore.kernel.org implements it.
> > That is a request to https://lore.kernel.org/r/message@id is redirected
> > to https://lore.kernel.org/somelist/message@id for a list "somelist"
> > that has a message with the given Message-Id.
> >
> > I fail to find this feature in the code and wonder if it is a feature
> > that was added only to the public-inbox clone used to operate
> > lore.kernel.org.
>
> PublicInbox::NewsWWW fallback lets //$host/$message_id work (no /r/).
> It can be run as a standalone PSGI, too, see examples/newswww.psgi

Huh, it seems I have to dig deeper into the internals of Plack. Thanks.

> At least it works on my Tor .onion mirror of lore:
> http://lore.czquwvybam4bgbro.onion/ and
> http://rskvuqcfnfizkjg6h5jvovwb3wkikzcwskf54lfpymus6mxrzw67b5ad.onion/
>
> To get /r/, you can use the "mount" directive in the
> Plack::Builder DSL as shown in example/newswww.psgi
>
> > Is there some additional code or configuration necessary to make this
> > work? Am I missing something?
>
> That said, I seem to recall lore.kernel.org/r/ existing before NewsWWW,
> so maybe it was something else, too.  (It may have even existed
> somewhere on kernel.org before lore)

@Konstantin: It would be great if you shared how this is implemented on
lore.kernel.org. For me this redirection is so convenient I definitely
want to have it. I wonder if it is considered good by others, too. Then
maybe implement it in the core?!

@ 2021-02-01 17:17     ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2021-02-01 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kleine-König; +Cc: meta, Konstantin Ryabitsev

Uwe Kleine-König <u.kleine-koenig@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 01, 2021 at 11:10:49AM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> > To get /r/, you can use the "mount" directive in the
> > Plack::Builder DSL as shown in example/newswww.psgi
>
> > > Is there some additional code or configuration necessary to make this
> > > work? Am I missing something?
> >
> > That said, I seem to recall lore.kernel.org/r/ existing before NewsWWW,
> > so maybe it was something else, too.  (It may have even existed
> > somewhere on kernel.org before lore)
>
> @Konstantin: It would be great if you shared how this is implemented on
> lore.kernel.org. For me this redirection is so convenient I definitely
> want to have it. I wonder if it is considered good by others, too. Then
> maybe implement it in the core?!

Fwiw, I'm pretty sure NewsWWW can do everything /r/ does (and
/r/ may use NewsWWW under-the-hood.  It might just be inertia
if /r/ is some other implementation, or if it can redirect to
3rd-party (non-public-inbox) URLs.

* Re: generic message-id redirector
@ 2021-02-01 19:22     ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2021-02-01 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kleine-König; +Cc: Eric Wong, meta

On Mon, Feb 01, 2021 at 02:26:30PM +0100, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> > PublicInbox::NewsWWW fallback lets //$host/$message_id work (no /r/).
> > It can be run as a standalone PSGI, too, see examples/newswww.psgi
>
> Huh, it seems I have to dig deeper into the internals of Plack. Thanks.
>
> > At least it works on my Tor .onion mirror of lore:
> > http://lore.czquwvybam4bgbro.onion/ and
> > http://rskvuqcfnfizkjg6h5jvovwb3wkikzcwskf54lfpymus6mxrzw67b5ad.onion/
> >
> > To get /r/, you can use the "mount" directive in the
> > Plack::Builder DSL as shown in example/newswww.psgi
> >
> > > Is there some additional code or configuration necessary to make this
> > > work? Am I missing something?
> >
> > That said, I seem to recall lore.kernel.org/r/ existing before NewsWWW,
> > so maybe it was something else, too.  (It may have even existed
> > somewhere on kernel.org before lore)
>
> @Konstantin: It would be great if you shared how this is implemented on
> lore.kernel.org. For me this redirection is so convenient I definitely
> want to have it. I wonder if it is considered good by others, too. Then
> maybe implement it in the core?!

/r/ is just a mapping in upstream proxy that rewrites /r/ -> /

:)

Best regards,
-K

* Re: generic message-id redirector
@ 2021-02-02  8:08       ` Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2021-02-02  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong, meta

On Mon, Feb 01, 2021 at 02:22:02PM -0500, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 01, 2021 at 02:26:30PM +0100, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> > > PublicInbox::NewsWWW fallback lets //$host/$message_id work (no /r/).
> > > It can be run as a standalone PSGI, too, see examples/newswww.psgi
> >
> > Huh, it seems I have to dig deeper into the internals of Plack. Thanks.
> >
> > > At least it works on my Tor .onion mirror of lore:
> > > http://lore.czquwvybam4bgbro.onion/ and
> > > http://rskvuqcfnfizkjg6h5jvovwb3wkikzcwskf54lfpymus6mxrzw67b5ad.onion/
> > >
> > > To get /r/, you can use the "mount" directive in the
> > > Plack::Builder DSL as shown in example/newswww.psgi

> > > That said, I seem to recall lore.kernel.org/r/ existing before NewsWWW,
> > > so maybe it was something else, too.  (It may have even existed
> > > somewhere on kernel.org before lore)
> >
> > @Konstantin: It would be great if you shared how this is implemented on
> > lore.kernel.org. For me this redirection is so convenient I definitely
> > want to have it. I wonder if it is considered good by others, too. Then
> > maybe implement it in the core?!
>
> /r/ is just a mapping in upstream proxy that rewrites /r/ -> /

Ah, I wasn't aware that public-inbox does that already. I have to
improve my Perl skills it seems :-)

(It seems from the outside I have to use /r/ though for lore.kernel.org,
https://lore.kernel.org/20201215212228.185517-2-clemens.gruber@pqgruber.com
at least doesn't work.)

Thanks

@ 2021-02-02 13:06         ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2021-02-02 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kleine-König; +Cc: Eric Wong, meta

On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 09:08:10AM +0100, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> (It seems from the outside I have to use /r/ though for lore.kernel.org,
> https://lore.kernel.org/20201215212228.185517-2-clemens.gruber@pqgruber.com
> at least doesn't work.)

That's just a side-effect of our setup -- we define a reverse proxy
lookup for every known list and the toplevel itself isn't mounted. The
reason we use /r/ is because lkml.kernel.org/r/msgid was an existing
redirector service we ran for 10+ years (that used to redirect to an
external service before lore.kernel.org).

There's no reason for anyone else to mimic /r/ the way we are doing it.

-K

* Re: generic message-id redirector
@ 2021-02-02 14:02           ` Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2021-02-02 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)