From: Eric Wong <e@80x24.org>
To: meta@public-inbox.org
Subject: Re: Epoch roll-over with imap
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 20:54:08 +0000

Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> Good morning, and congratulations on 1.6.0!

Thanks.

> I'm starting to play with the new imapd mode (currently using the imap
> daemon on public-inbox.org), and I am curious how we can make it obvious
> to the clients that there is a new epoch available. For example, if
> someone configures mbsync to fetch things from
> imaps://public-inbox.org/inbox.comp.mail.public-inbox.meta.0, how will
> they become aware when epoch 1 becomes available?

mbsync(1) appears to have a "Create" option; though I haven't
used it much.  As for informing the user of the MUA of newer
mailboxes... I don't know :x

offlineimap creates new mailboxes by default, AFAIK.

Also, I'm avoiding the word "epoch" to avoid confusion with the
v2 git repos; so the world "slice" is used throughout the IMAP
daemon code.