* Converting Public-Inbox archived messages into mbox
@ 2020-09-04 20:40 Simon Eigeldinger
From: Simon Eigeldinger @ 2020-09-04 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Hi all,

I know and I guess that has been asked a few times.
Is it possible to convert a git repo with messages to a mbox file and
how is that done?

According to the install guide for Public-Inbox you don't need to
install the whole server instance but just use git clone or git fetch to
get the repo.
But it doesn't state what to do after cloning.

Greetings and thanks,
Simon

* Re: Converting Public-Inbox archived messages into mbox
@ 2020-09-04 21:50 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2020-09-04 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Eigeldinger; +Cc: meta

On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 10:40:24PM +0200, Simon Eigeldinger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know and I guess that has been asked a few times.
> Is it possible to convert a git repo with messages to a mbox file and
> how is that done?
>
> According to the install guide for Public-Inbox you don't need to
> install the whole server instance but just use git clone or git fetch to
> get the repo.
> But it doesn't state what to do after cloning.

You can try using l2md:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dborkman/l2md.git

If you don't want to go that route, you can also just do a very blunt
thing like:

mkdir -p maildir/{new,cur,tmp}
for commit in $(git rev-list master); do:
  git show $commit:m > maildir/new/$commit
done
mutt -f maildir

-K