* Could public-inbox do something helpful with .mailmap?
@ 2020-08-18  1:17 Eric W. Biederman
From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2020-08-18  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong; +Cc: meta

I just dug up some old emails and I got at least one persons current
email address wrong because they have changed their email address
frequently.

They have an update to their preferred email address in the .mailmap
in the linux-kernel source.  Is there any chance public-inbox could
look at .mailmap and do something useful in the web interface?

Perhaps display an alternate address next to the original?

I don't even know if that is a sensible request but I thought I would
ask before I am distracted by something else.

Eric

* Re: Could public-inbox do something helpful with .mailmap?
@ 2020-08-18  2:15 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2020-08-18  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric W. Biederman; +Cc: Eric Wong, meta

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 08:17:37PM -0500, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> They have an update to their preferred email address in the .mailmap
> in the linux-kernel source.  Is there any chance public-inbox could
> look at .mailmap and do something useful in the web interface?
>
> Perhaps display an alternate address next to the original?
>
> I don't even know if that is a sensible request but I thought I would
> ask before I am distracted by something else.

Not sure it belongs in public-inbox, but it would certainly be an
interesting feature addition to b4.

-K

* Re: Could public-inbox do something helpful with .mailmap?
@ 2020-08-18  2:22 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2020-08-18  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric W. Biederman; +Cc: meta

"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xmission.com> wrote:

> I just dug up some old emails and I got at least one persons current
> email address wrong because they have changed their email address
> frequently.
>
> They have an update to their preferred email address in the .mailmap
> in the linux-kernel source.  Is there any chance public-inbox could
> look at .mailmap and do something useful in the web interface?

Yup.

> Perhaps display an alternate address next to the original?

I was thinking about updating the mailto: links and "reply"
instructions for git-send-email.

> I don't even know if that is a sensible request but I thought I would
> ask before I am distracted by something else.

It's been in the TODO for ages :)

Configuring it is the tough part: being able to group it so it
affects certain lists + projects, and prioritizations in case of
address conflicts across different projects, etc; yet being able
to share them (e.g. across all kernel-related lists, especially
if it's employer-dependent for some projects).

I'm working on inbox grouping right now for searching across
multiple (or all) inboxes, so this will tie into that.

The tricky part is making configuration sensible (because the
target is to support over 30K inboxes(!))