* thoughts on Git::Raw / libgit2?
@ 2020-06-16 21:40 Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2020-06-16 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Hey all,

First off, I have no intention of making Git::Raw (Perl libgit2
wrapper) or libgit2 a hard dependency.  It'll be an option if
available, like most of our dependencies.

Git::Raw is not packaged with CentOS 7.x; but cpan/cpanm is an
option.  It is in Debian 10.x as libgit-raw-perl, so I can
report bugs via Debian's BTS[*].

I only intend to use Git::Raw for blob retrievals as a separate
AF_UNIX SOCK_STREAM daemon similar to how we use
`git cat-file --batch/--batch-check'.

The socket/pipe interface works well for unpredictable seek
times on HDDs.  Using Git::Raw from an AF_UNIX SOCK_STREAM
daemon would allow us to save pipe buffers, and PIDs when
there's tens/hundreds of thousands of git repos involved.

[*] I have no intention of ever using a proprietary service for
    free software development.  Even if GitHub were free software,
    their terms-of-service is unacceptable to me.