From: Eric Wong <e@yhbt.net>
To: meta@public-inbox.org
Subject: Xapian::DB_NO_SYNC option?
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 09:46:30 +0000

Since 1.3.2, Xapian has supports a DB_NO_SYNC flag to disable
fsync().  It's available from the new SWIG "Xapian" Perl
bindings, but not the old Search::Xapian XS binding, though it's
easy enough to define ourselves (0x4) when encountering Xapian
1.3.2+.

So I'm wondering if it'd be useful for anybody to provide a
switch or command-line option to disable fsync?  SQLite also
has a PRAGMA to control fsync usage.

Personally, I use the "eatmydata" LD_PRELOAD wrapper a lot and
have always found public-inbox-index and one-off importer
scripts completely unusable without eatmydata.

Everything we store in Xapian, (and even SQLite nowadays) is
regeneratable, anyways, so no risk of data loss in the worst
case.