From: Eric Wong <e@80x24.org>
To: meta@public-inbox.org
Subject: Re: RFC: monthly epochs for v2
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 22:34:51 +0000	[thread overview]

Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 08:35:03PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> > > - if someone is only interested in a few months worth of archives, they
> > > don't have to clone the entire collection
> > > - similarly, someone using public-inbox to feed messages to their inbox
> > > (e.g. using the l2md tool [1]) doesn't need to waste gigabytes storing
> > > archives they aren't interested in
> >
> > NNTP or d:YYYYMMDD..YYYYMMDD mboxrd downloads via HTTP search
> > are better suited for those cases.
>
> I know you really like nntp, but I'm worried that with Big Corp's love of
> deep packet inspection and filtering, NNTP ports aren't going to be usable
> by a large subset of developers. We already have enough problems with port
> 9418 not being reachable (and sometimes not even port 22).  Since usenet's
> descent into mostly illegal content, many corporate environments probably
> have ports 119 and 563 blocked off entirely and changing that would be
> futile.

I would consider the possibility of an HTTP API which looks like
NNTP commands, too.  But it wouldn't work with existing NNTP
clients...  Maybe websockets can be used *shrug*

NNTP can also run off 80/443 if somebody has an extra IP.  Not
sure if supporting HTTP and NNTP off the same port is a
possibility since some HTTP clients pre-connect TCP and NNTP is
server-talks-first whereas HTTP is client-talks-first.

> > If people only want a backup via git (and not host HTTP/NNTP),
> > it's FAR easier for them to run ubiquitous commands such as
> > "git clone --mirror && git fetch" rather than
> > "install $TOOL which may be out-of-date-or-missing-on-your-distro"
>
> I think that anyone who is likely to use public-inbox repositories for more
> than just a copy of archives is likely to be using some kind of tool. I
> mean, SMTP can be used with "telnet" but nobody really does. :) If we
> provide a convenient library that supports things like intelligent selective
> cloning, indexing, fetching messages, etc, then that would avoid everyone
> doing it badly. In fact, libpublicinbox and bindings to most common
> languages is probably something that should happen early on.

I'm not sure about a libpublicinbox... I have been really
hesitant to depend on shared C/C++ libraries whenever I use Perl
or Ruby because of build and install complexity; especially for
stuff that's not-yet-available on distros.

Well-defined and stable protocols + data formats?
Yes. 100 times yes.

What would be nice is to have a local server so they could
access everything via HTTP using curl or whatever HTTP library
users want.  On shared systems, it could be HTTP over a UNIX
socket.  I don't think libcurl supports Unix domain sockets,
yet, but HTTP/1.1 parsers are pretty common.

JSON is a possibility, too; but I'm not sure if JSON is even
necessary if all that's exchanged are git blob OIDs and URLs for
mboxes.  Parsing MIME + RFC822(-ish) are already sunk costs.