From: Eric Wong <e@80x24.org>
To: Alyssa Ross <hi@alyssa.is>
Cc: meta@public-inbox.org
Subject: Re: public-inbox-init with minimal info
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 08:19:24 +0000	[thread overview]

Alyssa Ross <hi@alyssa.is> wrote:

> >> "mount" here is in the PSGI sense, not the file system sense.  My
> >> public-inboxes are at https://example.org/lists/archives/.  Maybe
> >> there's a better name.
> >
> > Ah, so that overrides the Plack::Builder DSL/language.  We also
> > have an analogous support problem for PSGI vs public-inbox-config,
> > so I've been avoiding any overlap between them.
> >
> > Perhaps "psgi_mount" would be clearer? *shrug*
>
> I shied away from that because it would only be clearer if you know what
> PSGI is, and the module takes care of all of that.  I also considered
> httpMount, but since it's already in the http namespace that felt
> redundant.

Maybe "url_mount"?  Naming is one of the toughest problems :<

> > Btw, would it be helpful if public-inbox provided a linter for
> > its config own file?
>
> Very much so!  That would let us lint config files at build time, and
> fail the system build if they were invalid, meaning a system could
> "never" have an invalid config file.  We already do this with nginx --
> the linter doesn't catch everything, but it's wonderful when it catches
> something that would otherwise have left you without a working web
> server.

OK, adding TODO item.

> Here's an idea for a lint: I lost most of a day wondering what I had
> done wrong, before realising that I was setting mainrepo to all.git,
> rather than its parent directory.  The name "mainrepo" isn't great, IMO,
> but a lint could have accomodated for that.

Sorry about wasting your time!  Yeah, "mainrepo" is a bad name,
especially with v2 :<

I guess we can shift to "inboxdir" and keep the old alias
indefinitely for compatibility, since there's already INBOX_DIR
all over the documentation.

I originally intended for each inbox to have another repo
for rejected/spam messages; but just put it in PI_EMERGENCY,
instead.