* High polling frequency of public-inbox-watch
@ 2019-08-11 16:43 Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-08-11 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Hi,

I'm running public-inbox for some months very successfully on my server. Great work!

On thing though: I realized that the public-inbox-watch service is scanning the
configured maildirs with a sleep delay of just 2 seconds, and that causes a CPU
load of 20-30% on my box. Can this be configured to a more moderate rate? I
would have patched this already, but I'm not seeing in the code where these 2
seconds may come from.

Thanks,
Jan

* Re: High polling frequency of public-inbox-watch
@ 2019-08-11 16:51 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2019-08-11 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: meta

Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@web.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running public-inbox for some months very successfully on my server. Great work!

Good to know :>

> On thing though: I realized that the public-inbox-watch service is scanning the
> configured maildirs with a sleep delay of just 2 seconds, and that causes a CPU
> load of 20-30% on my box. Can this be configured to a more moderate rate? I
> would have patched this already, but I'm not seeing in the code where these 2
> seconds may come from.

I guess it's from Filesys::Notify::Simple.  Which OS are you using?

It should be able to use inotify / kqueue depending on whether
you're on Linux or FreeBSD (I haven't tested other BSDs).  It
uses Linux::Inotify2 on Linux which AFAIK all deb-based distros
will pull in, and Filesys::Notify::KQueue on KQueue-supported
systems.

* Re: High polling frequency of public-inbox-watch
@ 2019-08-11 17:01   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-08-11 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong; +Cc: meta

On 11.08.19 18:51, Eric Wong wrote:
> Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@web.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running public-inbox for some months very successfully on my server. Great work!
>
> Good to know :>
>
>> On thing though: I realized that the public-inbox-watch service is scanning the
>> configured maildirs with a sleep delay of just 2 seconds, and that causes a CPU
>> load of 20-30% on my box. Can this be configured to a more moderate rate? I
>> would have patched this already, but I'm not seeing in the code where these 2
>> seconds may come from.
>
> I guess it's from Filesys::Notify::Simple.  Which OS are you using?

Debian Linux, Stretch.

> It should be able to use inotify / kqueue depending on whether
> you're on Linux or FreeBSD (I haven't tested other BSDs).  It
> uses Linux::Inotify2 on Linux which AFAIK all deb-based distros
> will pull in, and Filesys::Notify::KQueue on KQueue-supported
> systems.

I was expecting inotify usage as well, but I'm not seeing that in strace, rather
a long *stat series, and then nanosleep(2)... Hah!

     apt install liblinux-inotify2-perl

solved it. Did I miss a note in the readme?

@ 2019-08-11 17:33     ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2019-08-11 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: meta

Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@web.de> wrote:
> On 11.08.19 18:51, Eric Wong wrote:
> > Linux::Inotify2 on Linux which AFAIK all deb-based distros
> > will pull in,

Oops, I was wrong on that :x

> I was expecting inotify usage as well, but I'm not seeing that in strace, rather
> a long *stat series, and then nanosleep(2)... Hah!
>
>     apt install liblinux-inotify2-perl
>
> solved it. Did I miss a note in the readme?

Nope, but it should probably be noted as an optional dependency
in INSTALL, along with KQueue dependencies for *BSDs.