* RFE: default hooks for git repositories
@ 2019-03-06 17:03 Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2019-03-06 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Hello:

Since V2 creates git shards automatically, I suggest there should be a
way to tell it to install some set of default hooks in all new git repos
it creates. The easiest would be by using a skel dir and specifying it
in PI_CONFIG:

[publicinbox]
  githooksskel=/usr/share/public-inbox/hooks

We currently do it via a cronjob, but unless we run it very frequently,
there's a delay between when a new shard is created and when we add the
hooks to it.

Best,
-K

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: RFE: default hooks for git repositories
@ 2019-03-07  2:42 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2019-03-07  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: meta

Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Since V2 creates git shards automatically, I suggest there should be a way
> to tell it to install some set of default hooks in all new git repos it
> creates. The easiest would be by using a skel dir and specifying it in
> PI_CONFIG:
>
> [publicinbox]
>  githooksskel=/usr/share/public-inbox/hooks

Seems reasonable.  Though "gitInitTemplateDir" would probably be
easier-to-implement and cover hooks.  This should let us avoid
creating needless "branches" directories and "info/exclude"
files, as well.

Curious, what hooks do you use?  I've never used any.

> We currently do it via a cronjob, but unless we run it very frequently,
> there's a delay between when a new shard is created and when we add the
> hooks to it.

I've also been thinking of a way to get mirrors to automatically
know about new epochs, too.  Maybe submodules can be used...

Note: I prefer the "epoch" term for the $N.git dirs over "shard"
      to disambiguate it from the Xapian partitioning we do.

* Re: RFE: default hooks for git repositories
@ 2019-03-08 23:01   ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2019-03-08 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: meta

Eric Wong <e@80x24.org> wrote:
> Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > Since V2 creates git shards automatically, I suggest there should be a way
> > to tell it to install some set of default hooks in all new git repos it
> > creates. The easiest would be by using a skel dir and specifying it in
> > PI_CONFIG:
> >
> > [publicinbox]
> >  githooksskel=/usr/share/public-inbox/hooks
>
> Seems reasonable.  Though "gitInitTemplateDir" would probably be
> easier-to-implement and cover hooks.  This should let us avoid
> creating needless "branches" directories and "info/exclude"
> files, as well.
>
> Curious, what hooks do you use?  I've never used any.

Actually, is there a reason the git-native "init.templateDir"
configuration variable isn't sufficient?

i.e. something about public-inbox git repos should be set/unset
which is fundamentally incompatible with code-oriented git repos?

I've been trying to use normal git defaults and directives as
possible to minimize the learning curve.

I've started working on a dirty patch to implement this feature;
but it's rather intrusive and I'm not sure I like it...

* Re: RFE: default hooks for git repositories
@ 2019-03-18 23:11     ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2019-03-18 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: meta

Eric Wong <e@80x24.org> wrote:
> Actually, is there a reason the git-native "init.templateDir"
> configuration variable isn't sufficient?

Ping?