From: Eric Wong <e@80x24.org>
To: Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: meta@public-inbox.org
Subject: Re: RFE: unified message-id lookup across all inboxes
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 01:54:20 +0000

Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hello, all:
>
> One of the features lore.kernel.org users have been asking for is
> ability to retrieve a message based on its message-id regardless of
> which inbox it's in. Perhaps look them up in the order they are listed
> in the config file and display the first found?

Right, the NNTP interface already does that.  Ordering in NNTP
is random (because Perl hash order is random), but I guess there
could be an option to control sorting in the config.

There'll be another sorting-related config option for a feature
on the horizon...

> The way it works currently is *almost* already what we want. E.g. if you
> access:
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/1545703503-20939-1-git-send-email-zhangkehong@hisilicon.com

sidenote: I've been fighting memory use and that RFC is frightening :x

> It will tell you that the message is in another inbox (it was sent to
> linux-arm-kernel and not cc'd to linux-kernel). The users don't like
> that extra click, so they really just want a "show me the message if
> it's anywhere on lore, and give me a link to marc.info, etc if not in
> any of them).

Right.  I wanted to make it obvious to the user the message was
in a different inbox.  So I think the new endpoint would be
(without /$INBOX/ name):

	http://$HTTP_HOST/_/$MESSAGE_ID

And 302 the user to the first message.

> It's been way too long since I've done Perl, which is why I'm not
> offering patches, sorry! :)

No worries; I've got a bunch of other RFEs to take care of, too.

Also, I've been wondering if Ruby would have been a better
language for this project?

Python doesn't fit my brain, Xapian bindings for Lua aren't yet
in Debian, yet (RFP filed), but they're packaged for Ruby.  But
I've been hacking on the Ruby VM for nearly a decade...  I just
never get to use Ruby for development because I'm constantly
side-tracked into fixing and attempting to improve the VM and
language.  But VM hacking isn't really rewarding anymore, so I'm
taking a break from that.