From: Eric Wong <e@80x24.org>
To: "Nicolás Ojeda Bär" <n.oje.bar@gmail.com>
Cc: meta@public-inbox.org
Subject: Re: public-inbox-httpd feature request: sort oldest-first
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 07:13:04 +0000	[thread overview]

Nicolás Ojeda Bär <n.oje.bar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,

Minor nit about the Subject: this affects the PSGI
PublicInbox::WWW module, which works best with the bundled
-httpd, but really can work with any PSGI
(Perl Server Gateway Interface) server.

> Unless I missed something there does not seem to be a way to sort the
> message list oldest-to-newest. A little arrow somewhere to invert the
> order would be nice to have.

Right; it's always favors newest messages.  We usually find
newer messages more relevant and also git packs are optimized
for newer data.

I'll take your request into consideration, but am currently
against this:

I don't want to go down the path of making the WWW interface too
complex or trying to satisfy everybody with it.  User interface
is a PERSONAL choice and I want it to remain that way.

The most important part of the WWW interface is it has a stable
URL format for downloading mboxes and Atom feeds.  These allow
and encourage users to use their favorite tools locally to
consume them.  Supporting NNTP is another key to encouraging
users to choose their own UIs.

To that end, the bundled -httpd and -nntpd servers are designed
to handle aggressive clients fairly even if they simultaneously
download huge amounts of messages.

Thanks for the interest.